Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RUBICON (04) tranny, rear diff, or loose noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUBICON (04) tranny, rear diff, or loose noise

When I put it in gear (forward to reverse or rev-for) and accelerate, somewhere below and behind the driver will pop (sounds like a larger screw dropping on solid metal). If I put it in low and then high it usually will not pop. Very rarely I will hear it when I am riding on a rough surface.

I have check that everything is tight and nothing broken. My local auto mechanic thought it was in the exhaust, but I removed the spark arrestor and it did not make a different sound so that can't be possible.

Anyone have this problem or any possible ideas?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

There has to be someone here that has had a simular problem. Sign up, log in, and tell me your story.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hi there, mine is also making the same sound. But I know where mine is coming from. It is coming from the rear wheel. If I grab the wheel shake it, I can make it pop. I think it is the wheel bearing. I took the wheel and the hub off to see if I could see anything but didn't notice anything. When I put it back on, it quit for a while but started back up again.

I think I may have got some sand in the bearing because it started right after I got back from riding in sand at the Badlands. I don't think the bearing is out because there is no play in the wheel.

I wish it would stop. It is driving me nuts. About the only time I hear it is when I take off going forwards or reverse. Every once in a while it will pop when I am moving. I have not tried putting it in low then high. BTW, mine is a 05 Rubicon with 4800 miles. How many miles does yours have on it?

Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

4800 miles? holy cow, wow- are your arms rock solid?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS!! I knew that there had to be someone who has heard of or had this happen to them.

This could be the problem because it is coming in or below the muffler about where the tire bolts on the shaft. I had my auto mechanic listen a few weeks ago and he said it was in the muffler, but I am not convinced. DOES ANYONE THINK IT IS A PROBLEM OR SHUOLD I FIX IT NOW?????

My bike only has 400 miles on it. Has never been rode in deep mud (light on the trail up the mountain to deer hunt), never sand, and only 3 or 4 times in a small mud hole about 6 to 10 inches deep with my son. There is a lot of dust because I cut my 18 acre field with a pull behind motor.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

I think the noise is coming from the rear wheel bearing on mine. One reason I think it is the bearing is because when I put the wheel back on and tightened up the nut, it quit for a little while but came back. Maybe you could grab the tire and shake it back and forth at different times and see if it does it. That how I find out where mine was coming from.

If it is the same thing as mine, I wouldn't worry too much about getting it fixed. Mine has been making the noise for several hundred miles now and no problems. Now if the wheel is loose then I would get it fixed.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, if that is it I just hope that it does not go out miles away from the truck. The type riding I do and not many miles on it at all really suprises me it could be a bearing, but that sounds about right. I have shaken it back and forth and can not get it the pop. I have jacked it up and no pop either. It has to be under load and starting out in forward or reverse.