Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420 vs 500

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420 vs 500

Ok - know that I know the difference between the Rubicon and the Foreman (Auto vs manual) I'd like to pound this out:

Recenly sold my 02 350 Rancher S

AWESOME MACHINE. No problems whatsoever, used it every day for ranch chores and ice fishing in the winter.

The only deficiency I seemed to have with it was a few of my chore duties, the rear suspension was plenty light. The past few years I thought when the time to trade came, I'd bump up to the Foreman (dual real shocks, bigger, wider racks, more power).

The time has come to trade, and low and behold this "new" Rancher is on the market. Love the idea of EFI and a little more snort, along with the 2x4/4x4 select. However - still think the Foreman would be better suited for my needs (more of a utility user). Dont do any trail riding or anything like that...my quads work for a living. (At least until ice season comes around.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Any insight - what do you guys think?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 vs 500

just bought a new Rancher 420ES. the efi makes it so responsive and quick.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 420 vs 500

My tendency is to say just go with the Foreman, which is marketed pretty much as a pure work machine. But, the Rancher is water cooled. Most work machines sit around more than they move, but folks don't necessarily like to turn the engine off every time they get off it...so water cooling might be a big +++???

Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 vs 500

Just read an entire review section with this new 420 getting some pretty bad raps. Anybody else with these experiences??

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld....honda-rancher-420-4x4/

Old 10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 vs 500

you know I have owned 11 straight Fords and put 125,000 miles plus on each one without turning a wrench and if you go to some web sites all you would see is complaints about Fords. How many Ranger 420 ES's did they sell and what is the % of the ones with problems. If you don't know this then you know nothing of it's reliability. Poeple like to complain when they have a problem. This is not to say you shouldn't know of these problems but if you don't have other manufacturer's ATV problems to compare it with then again it tells you nothing.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420 vs 500

for work i say foreman!!!! for play i say 420.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Range Rover
Default 420 vs 500

I bought a 2007 TRX420FM, I did some mad research between different ATV I wanted to get. I knew all the problems that people are complaining about the 420. The number one thing is if you do buy a 420 don't be surprised about the back fire. I knew about it before I bought it and I still don't regret getting it. It only did it 3 times and hasn't done it since. What I did learned is that 90-95% of people don't have one single problem with the 420. But if something is wrong with your ATV people are going to talk S**T about it on the forums or any website. The good things about the 420 far outweighs the bad. And the Rancher is Honda's #1 best seller Utility ATV. Another thing I would recommend is don't get the Electrical shift. Some people don't have problems with it but some do. Stick with the manual it will give you less problems or no problems at all. And DAMM that thing is tourquie!!! I think its a very good work machine and for play. Also its good for the winter - Liquid cooled and Fuel injected makes a Huge difference. I love my 420 and i don't regret buying it!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Red Rider
Default 420 vs 500

The backfire will go away. Folks just need to be patient. Once the exhaust system gets sooted up a bit, that's all it takes. On every quad there is, you have to do a valve adjustment after break in (~20 hours). You think any of these weenies even bothered with that?????

As for all the complaints on that link, a handfull of folks with problems will scream loudly, while thousands with no problems at all will be absolutely silent. None of the problems listed are common, except perhaps the backfire. In the first post, they seemed to have trouble with everything....got to wonder if it isn't some kind of owner problem???? Did these folks ever do any maintenence???

The Rancher 350 was superb, and the 420 is even better!!! I have put a lot of hard miles on mine, most of it at very high altitude....absolutely flawless! I wouldn't trade it for any one of the multitude of big bore IRS mush boxes out there.

But again, probably the Foreman 500 is the better work quad. You are going to pay $$$$ more for the Rubicon, and for what...an automatic transmission you don't need.....

Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420 vs 500

Thanks for the insight. I tend to agree on the "squeeky wheel gets the grease".

You dont have to convince me, I grew up on Hondas - and will be purchasing my second tomorrow.

I wont be buying the Rubicon. I need manual shift - and yes, on the floor. All I've ever had. I need the manual and the extra hand tagging calves, running a spray wand, etc.

Decided on the 2008 Foreman 500 FM EPS 4x4 , white in color. Will let you all know how it handles.

Dealer tells me the Foreman will be EFI within a year or two.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Red Rider
Default 420 vs 500

White will get dirty...real quick on a farm!

They use to offer the blue color, like the old 300. That's my favorite.