Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How important are Helmets for ATV riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 09:51 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my atv and do not own a helmet. I was not going to purchase one since my riding will consist of slower riding in heavy sand, small hills, mud and water. The trails I have been on don't allow you to go much beyond second gear, sometimes third. Obviously the safest bet would be to have a helmet but I think my riding may be a little different and less risky than many of you.

If I do get one, what style is more comfortable to wear. If it is comfortable, you are more likely to wear it.

Old 01-07-2001, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

i'd say just get a helment. And were the darn thing. By the time you are on one of your first gear hills and the quad gets a little out of control on you in a rut and you fall off and smash your head against a rock or tree..you'll wish you would of just put up with a helment.

I don't want stype you'd call mine.

BUT

Its a THH, full face shield, and i wear a set of scott googles. Wear it for a day and you don't know you have the thing on..

Old 01-07-2001, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

How important is brain damage to you?

I've been riding many, many years and the helmet has saved my face when it went into the bars, and my whole head when I did an "endo" and got hit/run over by my own quad. I won't even do a slow "warm-up" ride around camp without one on.

Get a full-face helmet and some good goggles.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Definately get and wear a helmet. I know of two times if I hadn't have been wearing one i would be 6 feet under or probably paralyzed. Also by wearing a helmet it makes us other atvers look good.
I have a HJC CLX-3 helmet, and an axo racer light helmet (like less than 2 lbs) and they are both nice. The HJC isn't as comfy (sp) as the axo but the hjc was only $130 compared to like $300 for the other one. I would reccomend the HJC though if you are on a budget.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tealboy,
Helmets are EXTREMLY important,even in the terrain you mention.ANY accident involving the head is a high risk on any ATV/ORV in any terrain.Sure,some terrain is at a lower risk than others,but why risk it?One fall to your unprotected head and its a GREAT chance your DONE.

When your looking to purchase a helmet,make sure you buy one that has the DOT approval on the helmet,usually you can see the DOT marking on the rear of the helmet.If the helmet does not meet DOT [Department of Transportation] standards,DONT BUY IT!You could even go better than DOT,purchase a helmet with a DOT and Snell approval and your getting the best helmet money can buy.Also,look to buy a ''full faced'' helmet when you purchase one,it offers full faced protection.

I sincerly hope you follow my suggestions.Besides,in most States,helmets are LAWS.Good luck,
Bill

Old 01-07-2001, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Get one! it can save your life, i dont know what kind of quad you have but anyone there is they are around 100 and up just imagine that on your head, i was riding my old bayou 220 and i did have a helmet on i was just riding slow not even in 3rd gear and i hit a rock with the front left tire and it came up and smoked me right in the head i knew if i wasnt wearing a helmet i would haev been in a hospital.

Old 01-07-2001, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Aside from all the other reasons (rolling, hitting something, etc...) to wear a helmet...

Imagine going down a trail and not quite ducking enough to avoid that tree branch. Ouchies.

I'm not exactly into wearing a helmet on my motorcycle, but on an ATV I won't ride without one. I'd probably have a few trips to the hospital under my belt if I didnt.

Also, dont forget to pick up some goggles, nothing worse then getting rocks shot up at your face, not to mention all the other nasties out there.

Old 01-07-2001, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

I am always amazed to hear, and look at my helmet after a lesurly ride through our woods. The number of times that my helmet contacts low linbs and such.

I have one particular scar that I am proud of, after going back to wearing my helmet fulltime and knocking into a low hanger that would have at least given me a massive headache.

MY head is worth the investment, no matter the riding conditions!

Old 01-07-2001, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

A helmet is without a doubt the most important piece of safety gear you can have. Don't ride without one. It don't take a whole lot to bust your melon. lol

Old 01-07-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, but what kind of question is that? Of course! You should, without a doubt, get a helmet. A good one too. You never know what will happen, and when things will go wrong. I know of many times that my helmet saved me from getting hurt. Maybe a few times that helmet saved my life.

There was a man that didn't live far from here that you can learn from. The guy was just riding around in his yard, playing around, not wearing a helmet. He crashed, and died from his head injuries. The helmet would have saved his life. That may sound hard to believe because it was his own yard and was just riding around, but it's the truth. Like I said before, you NEVER know what is going to happen while riding. You can't replace your head or brain. So, protect it!

Quick Reply: How important are Helmets for ATV riding