Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV brake lights why not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bombardiers have brake lights too. In fact it is the same light that Polaris uses.

Old 12-06-2001, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the province of Quebec, brake lights and a mirror on the left are mandatory since 1998. Every manufacturer has a brake kit that can be installed for less than 100$. You can easily make your own kit for less, just buy the little switch that goes on the handle bar, the rest can easily be obtained in any electronics stores.

Personnaly, I decided to go a step further, on my Honda 450ES 2002, I did the following:
- Installled a 2000 pounds winch
- Added a break light with modified dual intensity sockets in the read
- Added hot grips for winter time
- Added a switch to turn on/off the center beam (really appreciated when following a friend with a mirror on his bike)
- Added a front windshield, with parking lights and left/right flashers
- Added a seat for a passager with elevated brake lights and left/right flashers
- Added footpegs for the passager
- Added a trailer light connector one the rear, my trailer for kids also has lights

Still expecting to add:
- A horn
- A place holder for my GPS with power coming from my bike

Old 12-06-2001, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

I agree that break lights being standard on all atvs is a great idea but did u ever think that if you run into the person in front of you because you dont know when they are slowning down that maybe you are following to close to them?

Old 12-07-2001, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Here in Wyoming ATV's are street legal, I see people driving them to work and around town alot, you are Required to have brake lights on them (among other things), in order to license them for street use. Honda (and most manufactures)makes a brake light kit for all of it's newer ATV's. It includes a sensor (for the foot brake) and a the actual brake light. Any Honda dealer should be able order them, I am not sure how much they cost, I think it was about 50 or 75 bucks.

Old 12-07-2001, 01:33 AM
Trailblazer

The only thing that I find annoying about brake lights, is that they are distracting. If I am following someone down a trail, and looking a couple seconds ahead, or off to the side at a rock I want to avoid, then they flash their brakes, my eyes are naturally drawn away for a split second. Having your concentration sidetracked is not enjoyable. I think most skilled riders can quickly determine when the rider in front of them is slowing (by body positioning, tire/suspensin flex, and engine deceleration).

However, brake lights are nice in those extremely dusty conditions, but most of the riders I go with are wise enough have their lights on in the dust.

Old 12-08-2001, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

<< Here in Wyoming ATV's are street legal, I see people driving them to work and around town alot, you are Required to have brake lights on them (among other things), in order to license them for street use. Honda (and most manufactures)makes a brake light kit for all of it's newer ATV's. It includes a sensor (for the foot brake) and a the actual brake light. Any Honda dealer should be able order them, I am not sure how much they cost, I think it was about 50 or 75 bucks. >>

Wow, I can't believe it, somebody else from Cheyenne. Kraig, I have my Banshee street legal and it is a blast. I live about 20 miles out of Cheyenne and mainly ride the dirt roads.

Old 12-14-2001, 01:02 PM
Range Rover

I think Yamaha put Brake Lights on all their 2002 lineup.But i'm not sure.I got hit a lot by my father.Manly because the rear brakes on the Grizzly suck.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV brake lights why not?

I just got a Honda Rubicon about two weeks ago. Went riding at night with one buddy who said he almost hit me like 3 times before he realized I didn't have brake lights. Then a few days later had another buddy clip me and roll his quad. Had to take him to the emergency room for x-rays and CAT scans. He's doing ok and admits he was following too close but it WOULD have been avoided if there were break lights. They both thought that since there are tail lights on there that it would have brake lights. It's dangerous and completely absurd that they don't have them and I intend to do somehting about it.

Honda is gonna hear from me every day until something is done.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

My new TRX-450R has a great tail/brake light.LED lookin'.Kewl.....

Old 03-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The brake light issue is kinda like the no light on kids quads thing. Kids quads should have working lights if only for safety reasons to make them more visible.

I can see where a brake light would be nice. I've bumped my one friends quad once or twice. We'd be going along and he might slow down or stop fast. Bump.

Quick Reply: ATV brake lights why not?