Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2001 Honda 440 EX ...NO START

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda 440 EX ...NO START

Alright gentlemen, I need some help. I have just completely restored a 2001 Honda 400ex. I broke it down all the way to the frame/ subframe. I have put a 440 kit in it, and nearly everything on it is aftermarket. It has taken about six months or so, and a little money but she is bad as hell now, and a worthy apponent for anyone on the track....well, if she would start.

About two weeks ago, I started it up for a friend of mine in my garage. I hadn't rode it yet, because at that point, I was still waiting on some parts. However, I had started it many times since I had put the engine back in it, and never had a problem. Anyway, it cranked up and sounded great for about a minute or so, then shut off. I tried to restart it, but it would just turn and turn with no start. When the engine was redone, I replaced the plug and so, I wasn't suspecting that as the problem. I have noticed that it leaks gas if I leave the pet **** on all night, and when I try to start it, sometimes it will leak as well. I cleaned the carburetor the best I know how, and it didn't help... still no start. Thinking maybe the float is sticking?I know plenty about my 440, but not sure how to fix a stuck float (if that is the problem).

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am anxious to stretch her new legs on the track, but have to iron out this kink first. Thanx.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Honda 440 EX ...NO START

Hey Chance,
I am going top go out on a limb here and suggest two things that have happened to me. Okay number one, I had a fuel leak and some smart guy told me. Greg if fuel is going out under no pressure then air is getting in during pressure. I didnt know what he meant till i stopped the gas leak. In essence gas came out when not running and air rushed in when tryin to run. Stop the fuel leak no matter what first.

Second I was reading in a mag about this very problem, it seems on some of the aftermarket high end starting systems if you do not have exactly 13.5 volts and keep the quad on a trickle charger it will under no circumstances start. It seemed weird to me that it had to have such a precise voltage. But from reading other forums and several other mags I spoke to a Kawi Service Manager who lives in my hood and he said he sees it day afetr day with these after market voltage regulators asking for a precise and top of the line voltage. Anyway, hope this helps, be safe, ride hard, see you in the mud.

JAX HELL HOUNDS