Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bring out the Beast in your machine with do at home methods!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring out the Beast in your machine with do at home methods!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lumberjacktom

one question. A friend that has an 03 suzuki ltz250 gave me his stock exhaust system. I called my local honda shop and asked if i could bend it and maybe cut a piece or add a piece. He said its not possible because the stock exhaust system for the suzuki is tuned diffrently than a stock honda exhaust system. Is this true?</end quote></div>

You have to take note of the pipe diameters and the length up to the part where the muffler joint is. If I recall right, the suzuki has a larger carb and is tuned more for higher rpms, and the honda has a smaller carb tuned more for low end grunt. I don't know what the pipes measure out to be, but if you put a larger pipe where a smaller pipe used to be, you will lose some of that low end grunt and may not gain anything on the top due to the carb. Now, if you put a bigger header and a bigger carb, that will be ok.

The larger the diameter and the shorter the pipe = high revving stuff
Vice versa for the low end.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Scootergptx

Sorry Randy, using FireFox and the smiley didn't show up.

Just didn't want him to think that was really a good method.

Changed the avatar back to the one I used all last Christmas. Didn't mean to offend anyone. </end quote></div>

Yes, maybe I should have stressed more the fact that it has to be flat, but I was counting on more questions before someone would actually do it, lol. It has been done with great success and it is something that can be done at home.... So, it is a good method, just make sure you have a good way to measure the progress (ie, not a tape measure or ruler, lol).

No offense taken. Not sure what you mean about the avatar...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

If you've done it before and it turned out ok, than more power to ya. More money in your own pocket is always good. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just didn't want him to get the impression that you could do this on a wobbly card table or anything.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you've done it before and it turned out ok, than more power to ya. More money in your own pocket is always good. [img][/img]

Just didn't want him to get the impression that you could do this on a wobbly card table or anything.</end quote></div>

Yeah, you're right... a card table wouldn't be the ideal setting... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Actually, I had to do it myself because around here I'd have to ship it off to be milled professionally. So, I thought n thought n thought why not??? Its just an old 220... Anyway, I thought it fit the "do it at home" requirements. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

If you've done it before and it turned out ok, than more power to ya. More money in your own pocket is always good. [IMG][/IMG]

Just didn't want him to get the impression that you could do this on a wobbly card table or anything.</end quote></div>

Yeah, you're right... a card table wouldn't be the ideal setting... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif" border="0[/IMG]

Actually, I had to do it myself because around here I'd have to ship it off to be milled professionally. So, I thought n thought n thought why not??? Its just an old 220... Anyway, I thought it fit the "do it at home" requirements. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif" border="0[/IMG]</end quote></div>

lumberjacktom: one question. A friend that has an 03 suzuki ltz250 gave me his stock exhaust system. I called my local honda shop and asked if i could bend it and maybe cut a piece or add a piece. He said its not possible because the stock exhaust system for the suzuki is tuned diffrently than a stock honda exhaust system. Is this true?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I already answered that one at the top of the page... I quoted you too.

Originally posted by: lumberjacktom
one question. A friend that has an 03 suzuki ltz250 gave me his stock exhaust system. I called my local honda shop and asked if i could bend it and maybe cut a piece or add a piece. He said its not possible because the stock exhaust system for the suzuki is tuned diffrently than a stock honda exhaust system. Is this true?

You have to take note of the pipe diameters and the length up to the part where the muffler joint is. If I recall right, the suzuki has a larger carb and is tuned more for higher rpms, and the honda has a smaller carb tuned more for low end grunt. I don't know what the pipes measure out to be, but if you put a larger pipe where a smaller pipe used to be, you will lose some of that low end grunt and may not gain anything on the top due to the carb. Now, if you put a bigger header and a bigger carb, that will be ok.

The larger the diameter and the shorter the pipe = high revving stuff
Vice versa for the low end.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I just happened to be reading my suzuki service manual and it says the max service limit of head distortion is .002. Just thought I'd post it since we were on the subject of milling heads.