Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

polaris vs honda vs yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris vs honda vs yamaha

I dont know what to choose. i want a utility about the size of the polaris sportsman 500. But what brand is better. It has to be 4x4!!!!!! I think i like the polaris sportsman.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several of my buddies have Polaris machines, and I really don't like them much. Overly heavy, and they go for this mushy tall long travel suspension with lots of body roll. People get sucked in by the cush suspension, which is all right for cruising, but it doesn't cut it for me in technical, off camber stuff.

I do like the Honda chassis better, but I don't think I would want either of those highly complex automatic trannies.

I'm not real familiar with the Yamahas and I don't like rubber band trannies, but if I had to get a big bore automatic utility, it would be the Griz 700.

Fortunately my Rancher does everything I ask of it, so I don't really want anything bigger.......

Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Range Rover

I would have to agree with ranger. I also have two friends that have polaris, not as big as you are looking, one is a 300 and the other is a 400. They both seem heavy and clumbersome. The both pause and squat alot before they go foward when you hit the gas. Theyalso make alot of noise but arent going that fast like the motor is running real high but not putting out as muck power as the machine is sounding like ( hope that makes sense). These may not be important in a utility machine it is just something that I have noticed. My friends also Have trouble getting someone other than the dealer to work on them. This may not be normal in other areas just here.

My wife has a yamaha 350 and she has not had any trouble with it but also does not run it had or put it through things that normal riders do. I t also hesitates when punched but that might have something to do with the belt.

I am bias to honda because they have never let me down. My 300 has gotten its a$$ kicked by me while riding and has never had a problem and my new 420 seems to be even better.

I would recommend you ride all of them before you buy one and seriously check out the 420, I think they are great.

Thats enough I am starting to sound like a salesman.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Me personally i would go with the honda. I heard the polaris lacks in the reliabilty department. One of my friend's had a brand new one and the belt popped after only one day. Then again he breaks things all the time. Hondas, as everyone knows is known for their reliability.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Trailblazer

Dont get me wrong i like the polaris,BUT if you look at some of the discussions about the polaris,there is atleast 15 0r 20 new post aday about polaris issues. Like i said i own one but i probley never will again..

Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

I think it really depends on what you're going to do with the quad you end up getting. If you're just going to use it to work around the yard, plow the driveway, etc, any of the quads you mentioned would be fine (including the Polaris). If you're going to take it on trips to the mountains and ride trails, I wouldn't go with the Polaris. Given their weight, they are much harder to manage on the trails than the lighter offerings by Honda and Yamaha. Also, since there is no such thing as 4-wheel engine breaking on the sportsman, I won't even consider buying one for that reason. The engine braking on most Honda and Yamaha automatics is unmatched which is almost a requirement if you're going to be riding down steep hills.

Polaris sells features. Some of those features are admittedly pretty nice. However, there are better alternatives for the trails.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

There is another thing. The dealers put together the atvs. So if i buy 1 i should go ta an all polaris dealer or what ever kind i decide

Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

Id check out the Wolverine 450 if your not needing low range. Are you set on buying a Polaris, their a bitch to work on. Id be warry about buying one. Honda too makes good stuff, I rarely here a bad thing about a Honda or Yamaha. Goodluck

Old 12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

I drive a Honda rancher 420. If your looking for an auto. My other machine is a Yamaha Kodiak 450. It is a very dependable fun to drive machine. Its not as fast as the sportsman but it has many good features like locking front differential,high or low range 4x4, liquid cooled, light weight agile machine. I have a 2003 so its a solid rear axle like the Honda's. In 1700 miles 170 hours all I have replaced is spark plugs and a battery and, regular maintenance of course. I have driven the PoPo and really didn't like the tipsy driving position. I really think they sit too high for mountain trail riding.