Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda 350 rancher ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda 350 rancher ES

My honda mechanic is telling me the only way to test an ECU is to put a new one in and check if the problem is resolved! Could he be right? I probably have an electric problem and I am down to the ECU having checked everything else, but need to buy a new ECU to go further with my troubleshooting which is costly.

There must be a way to check it?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not sure how to test it but i wouldn't listen to the mechanic, all they want to do is make a buck. There's usually a faster, easier, and inexpensive way of doing it.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the bike doing and what code is it flashing ..?

Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

There is no error code at all since the neutral light does not flash to indicate a code. I have replaced the angle sensor because 95% of the time in these forums, they say it is a faulty angle sensor that causes the bike not to shift into reverse. Now with that part replaced, it still doen't shift into reverse. I have checked the angle sensor wiring with my ohm meter up to the ecu and it's ok. The bike up-shift and down-shift normally on all other gears. Manually, it shifts good on reverse. The bike slept overnight in my heated garage and temperature is not an issue. Oil level is good and furthermore the bike has been very well maintained and well driven, no abuse at all. My question is: Could it be the ECU or the wiring on another circuit on another part related to the reverse sequence?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

could it be possible to have a defective ECU without an error code?

Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: destrehanrider2008

I'm not sure how to test it but i wouldn't listen to the mechanic, all they want to do is make a buck. There's usually a faster, easier, and inexpensive way of doing it.</end quote></div>

DUDE !!! Do not ever say that near or around me or you may meet Guito.
I AM A MECHANIC AND I AM NOT IN ATHIS FOR THE BUCK !!!!

I have helped hundereds and possably thousands of people save money with my knowledge shared on this forum, Gold Wing forums, CBR Forums and also VTX forums. I have not charged one red cent.

You should be slapped for such a stupid comment

----- Gregg -----

Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lucleb

There is no error code at all since the neutral light does not flash to indicate a code. I have replaced the angle sensor because 95% of the time in these forums, they say it is a faulty angle sensor that causes the bike not to shift into reverse. Now with that part replaced, it still doen't shift into reverse. I have checked the angle sensor wiring with my ohm meter up to the ecu and it's ok. The bike up-shift and down-shift normally on all other gears. Manually, it shifts good on reverse. The bike slept overnight in my heated garage and temperature is not an issue. Oil level is good and furthermore the bike has been very well maintained and well driven, no abuse at all. My question is: Could it be the ECU or the wiring on another circuit on another part related to the reverse sequence?</end quote></div>

Lucleb.
Check on the rear lower of the engine. There is a sending unit there with one wire going to it. Disconnect the wire, ground it, then try shifting the unit into reverse. If it works then the sender is bad and needs replacement

----- Gregg -----

Old 12-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

wow, what a mechanic you are. I found a broken wire going to that sending unit. I have been in these forums for 3 weeks and getting all kind of information and you put the finger right on the problem.

Many thanks and you realy made my day.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

Give yourself the credit my friend. I had figured the wire had come off the sender or the sender was bad. You found the break point.

Enjoy your Rancher !

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

still curious! why i didn't get a error code?

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda 350 rancher ES