Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon es froze rear end HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recon es froze rear end HELP!!!!

rust that is scary is that expensiveto fix if i replaced the rear end

Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a service manual. Take the brake cover off and have a look in there (that's easy). If not that, the procede on to the next logical possibility.....

Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usry yes rust can be costly i had to replace the front and rear brake's on my old honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 , the rear brake's cost more than the front brakes even though there's only one wheel brake's on the rear ; i had to replace the rear brake shoe's and the two wheel cylinders on the rear brake of the Foreman !

They were $65.00 a peice for the wheel cylinder's and $17.99 for the rebuild kit's , but both wheel cylinders were beyond repair on the rear ; and there's 2 cylinder's on the rear and front wheel brake's Instead of just one wheel cylinder on Automotive type brakes !

And the brake shoe's were $37.50 ( Local Honda Dealer wanted $68.99 + tax ) , but my local Arctic Cat Dealer i had known over 30 yrs. ; gave me the $37.50 deal on the rear shoe's but she didn't have the cylinder's so Honda got me on the rear wheel cylinder's !

But you need to pull the hub/drum to see if they're bad first , my old Foreman was a 1986 model and i just let it sit up to long to save them ; i had rust in the metal gas tank mounted under the seat of the Foreman !

I had gotten water in it from riding down a creek that was to deep , and even though i drained the tank and thought i had it all dried out ; it was to late rust had already eaten a hole in my fuel tank by then !

And i had to let it sit up almost 3 yrs. before i saved the $287.98 + tax for the tank alone , and on the front brake's that's where Honda really wanted to stick it to me ; i needed everything on the front brake's !

I was given a price quote of $275.98 per axle for the complete backing plate assemblies , i was on the verge of parting it out on ebay when i ran across an auction for 2 new O.E.M. Honda Brake Backing plate assemblies ;there was a starting bid of $150.00 with free shipping for both brake backing plate assemblies !

I made a bid on them of $152.50 and i set a maximum bid of $250.00 on them , and i saw a set of used backing plate's and i made a bid of $35.00 + $10.00 shipping just in case i lost one ; of the auction's i was bidding on !

I won both auction's , the new brake backing plate assemblies came first , and they were just as described ; for $152.50 + free shipping i got everyting i needed to fix the front brake's !

The only thing i couldn't use were the backing plate's themselves , they were for the new Rancher and Foreman's with 12" wheel's on front ; but everthing else fit perfect and i couln't get the old plate's off anyway !

But there were 2 new wheel cylinders ( 2 per wheel ) , new brake line's , new shoes , new springs and new retainer pins and clip's ; everything i needed for both axles !

And i sold the new backing plate's to my brother for $40.00 , because he had a 2004 Honda TRX350FM Rancher 4x4 ; which were the same size plates his Rancher's were !

But i got ripped off big time on the used brake backing plate assemblies , they were worse than my old one's were ; rust / dirt and leaves all over them !

They didn't even clean the dirt and leave's from them before shipping , all four wheel cylinders were seized up the spring's and retainer pin's and clip's were shot ; and the brake shoe's were worn down to within 1/8 of a centimeter so i just had to throw them in the scrap iron pile !

But check your's out it might not be to late to save them , the drum's are suppose to be water tight ; but water , sand and dirt can get into them when the rubber O'ring gasket's get worn and there's a rubber plug at the bottom of the baking plate's you can remove to see if water is trapped inside the brake drum's !

The best way to keep them from going bad is to ride it at least 2 or 3 time's a week to keep the wheel cylinders from seizing up , and regular maintence is the key here removing the drum's 2 or 3 time's a year and giving them a good cleaning ; and even more when you ride through any deep mud and water !

When you plan on storing it for a month or more should be one for these cleaning's , and if you see rust forming on the backing plate's use a wire brush to remove as much of the rust as you can ; and Auto Zone , Advance and O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores sell a product in the automotive paint section that has a small bottle of rust remover !

You just paint it on with a cheap paint brush over the rusty surfaces , and it start foaming away as it eat's the rust off the metal ; then you just wash it off with water and dry with a rag !

They have one product in the same section of the store that will turn light rust into a primer finish , that can be painted afterward's ; i have used them both and they work great !

just don't get the rust remover on the brake shoe's or the rubber part of the wheel cylinder's , reconranger is right about having a good O.E.M. , Haynes , Chilton or Clymer Service And Repair Shop Manual for your quad ; but i have over 20 yrs. in the Small Engine And Repair Industry !

And i've had people bring me all types of lawn and garden equipment boxed up in peices for something as simple as replacing a pull rope , that they had tried to do it themselves and it would take longer to put back together than it did to put the new rope in ; and i didn't have a manual when i did work on the old Foreman !

So i used a Digtal camera and took photo's when i was taking it apart on job's i had never done before , the brake's were simple for anyone who has ever done a brake job on a car or truck can do an atv ;but i would get started on it as fast as i could because it might not be to late to save them !

If it hasn't sit up to long and it could be as simple as a spring coming loose that pull's the shoes back together , or one or both of the cylinders are starting to stick ; so the sooner you get to it the less likely you'll have a major job on your hand's !

You may be able to clean the cylinders and brakes up using brake cleaner , or you might get a rebuild kit for the cylinders if you catch them in time ; but removing the hub and drum's and inspecting them come's first !

I hope it only take's a good cleaning to get evrything fixed for you , and keep us informed on what you run into so we can try to help you as best we can ; there's a lot of good folks on the forums that can and will help you out !.............