Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My 07 Recon

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 07 Recon

Hey wats up guys. i got a 2007 recon manual shift (read bad things about the ES) about 3 months ago and i have been reading up on things.

my first question is about the pullstart. i read somewhere that water and mud goes into there and could possibly go into the block. i wanted to know what i have to put there so it wont go in. Will dielectric grease work? if so where do i apply it?.. i ride in small rivers, mud, and in dirt

second question is, would it be wise to buy a K&N filter kit? if my atv is bone stock.

Third is, i recently found out that the Recon does not have an oil filter it has a screen. so i just changed the oil. is that all i have to do? how often should i take my recon to the "shop" so they can take apart the block and clean the screen? about 150 hours?

and It would be nice if anybody could give me some tips about maintence or anything in general and what kind of "hop-ups" would benefit me the most.

Thanks,

07Recon

Old 12-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 07 Recon

I ran K&N's with Outerwears on everything for a while, and every time I changed the filter I would wipe out the boot with a white cloth and it always had a fine layer of dust in it. I just don't trust them!

A UNI foam air filter will give you better airflow than stock, yet they do not pass dust (if oiled, cleaned, and maintained properly...of course). Also, increase the size of the hole in the snorkle, to give you more air (rather than vent the airbox lid seeing you run in the wet). Aftermarket muffler....I would run the FMF PowerLine myself. And of course a rejet.

Besides the screen, the Recon has a centrifugal oil filter that is actually very effective. See your owner's manual for the service interval on these. You sure don't have to "take apart the block" to get to them. The centrifuge is in the clutch area.

Never had any issues with my pull starter, so I'm not up on that......

Old 12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My 07 Recon

Thanks Reconranger

About the jetting.. what do i have to do? i was going to buy the kit but im a "noob" and im not sure how to intall it. and i will check out the uniform filter.

On the stock filter i cant clean right? i have to buy a new one?

and about the centrifugel filter is it outside or inside the motor?

anybody have any input about the Pullstart question?

Sorry for the "noobish" questions

Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Red Rider
Default My 07 Recon

Centrifuge is inside the engine, in the front behind the clutch.

The stock filter is cleanable. I like the cleaning sprays like Maxima or PJ1. Some just use soap and water. I reoil with super tacky oils like Maxima FFT for the best protection.

Jetting is a complicated issue, and more art than science. You can't just throw some jets in and expect it to be right. You have to ride it, and select jets according to the way it runs. Best if done by an experienced pro!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default My 07 Recon

Ok thanks reconranger

I will clean the stock filter

and i will buy Die-electric grease to cover the pullstart since that is what i have read i just dont remember where

in the future when the stock filter is old i will look at those uni-form filters. And i guess i will leave my recon stock for now.

Thanks.

If anybody else has any input it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default My 07 Recon

The di-electric grease is not going to help you on the pull start issue. You will need some RTV silicone sealant. The di-electric is more suitable for electrical plugs to keep moisture out. The RTV will actually make a seal between the rubber pullstart handle and the dust cover making it impossible for water and dirt to get in. you might as well get the di-electric grease and put a small amount in all your electrical plugins while you're at it.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My 07 Recon

Where do i buy the RTV? and i just put it between the Handle and the metal?

Thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My 07 Recon

I have another question i was thinking about it and these mods wont really benefit me power wise. i was think what tires in stock size would be best for my riding conditions. Mud about 1ft Deep, water crossings, a little bit of sand, and loose dirt and gravel.. i was thinking MudLites or Swamplites. what would you guys recomend. im only looking to buy the two from the rear wheels.. and looking to spend 50$ at the most for each tire.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default My 07 Recon

Here in the South a lot of guys buy a cover plate that Honda sells that replaces the pull start completely. I know they make it for the 350 rancher, it's about $38.00, not sure if they make it for the Recon. Folks done here ride in some deep water, they try to make submarines out of their atv, and the water does get in behind the recoil starter and eventually gets past the seal.
Myself, I try to stay out of water that deep and I kind if like having a back-up source for starting.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Red Rider
Default My 07 Recon

Don't go big or heavy with the tires, or you will lose your low end power (which you are going to need in the mud!). Remember, this isn't a sport quad where you can change gearing on a whim......

Quick Reply: My 07 Recon