Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 500 cooling fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman 500 cooling fan?

My 07 Foreman ES runs for a pretty long time before the cooling fan comes on. My question is should it cycle on and off or just stay on? Mine does not go off till I turn the key off. If I start it back up soon after the fan is not turning and does not start up till I have run the engine for some time. The temps we have been riding in have varied from the high 50's to high 70's. Thanks

Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine will sometimes come on during low speed technical climbs in high temps.

If I get into an area of more open trail, it will generally kick off after I've been cruising at higher speed for a few minutes, or if I start downhill.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Similar experience with the Ranchers. If the fan is on and I turn the key off, it will reset and the fan will not (immediately) come on again when I turn the key back on.

What I do if my fan is on when I stop, is leave the key on until the fan has cooled things off, then turn the key off after the fan has stopped on its own.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I was in my dealer yesterday so I asked the service manager about this and he said that the fan should just about never come on as long as I was moving. He said "just like any other water cooled engine". I told him that mine was not water cooled. He said "sure it is, the fan blows on the radiator and cools the water, just like in a car". We adjurned to the floor so I could show him that Foreman 500's were not water cooled. Long story short. He said to bring it in and they would check it out under warranty. I don't think so. I have a service manual coming I will see what it says and do my own diagnostic and repair if needed.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I have a service manual coming I will see what it says and do my own diagnostic and repair if needed. </end quote></div>

Good plan. That will save you lots of money, and aggrivation.

I'd start with the simple stuff first, like double checking the oil level. It should be checked after the machine has been idling for a few minutes, then let sit for a couple more minutes. Check with the dipstick not screwed in.

Also make sure the engine's cooling fins aren't caked in mud, and that the oil cooler isn't packed in mud or clogged with seeds.

You can check the operation of the oil temp sensor... In a nut shell, drain the oil, unhook the connector and remove the sensor and sealing washer.

Hook an ohm meter to the terminals (aligator clips would be handy) and submerge the end of the sensor in a pan of engine oil on a hot plate. You will also need a thermometer.

At 302 degrees you should get 306-340 ohms, and at 338 degrees 209-231 ohms.

On a 50-70 degree day, my cooling fan wouldn't come on that frequently, or for very long, so I think there's something odd about yours.

Good luck and post back if there is anything any of us might be able to look up or answer for you.