Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Carry TWO??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carry TWO??

Just purchased a HONDA RANCHER 420 fpr some work around the ranch. We also have Honda XR's, a 350 for me and a 200 for the wife. My question is can we safely carry two people aboard the rancher if all we're going to do is some really easy trails and logging roads. We have one of the seats that u-bolt on the rear rack and we'll probably have to install some foot pegs. Seen some on ebay by Bison. Any Comments or recommedations would be greatly appreciate. We are new to ATV'n but we're are experieced 4 stroke trail riders.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carry TWO??

You need to check your State's local law BEFORE you ride two-up on a single seat ATV. In Michigan, where I am from, it is ILLEGAL to operate with two people on an ATV, UNLESS

*The ATV has DESIGNED and MANUFACTURED accommodations FOR SEATING FOR EACH PASSENGER.

This means that the ATV itself must be DESIGNED from the MANUFACTURE for two people.

By putting a wrap-around cargo box on a single seat ATV does NOT make it a two seater. On a 2-up ATV, the passengers weight is IN FRONT of the rear axle and the passenger has his/her own floorboards to put their feet, they do NOT interrupt the operator in any way. If your local law permits two-up, use COMMON sense and dont do anything that would jeopardize the safety of yourself or your passenger.

God Luck,
Bill
ATV Safety Director

Old 12-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carry TWO??

Besides being against the law in some states, I think riding 2-up leaves the passenger very vulnerable. This is especially true when they are stuck in one of those bolt on seats, and can't bail easily in a rollover. Also, the passenger's weight is far back, and this makes the quad more likely to wheelie at the wrong time. Remember, folks roll their quads on "easy trails and logging roads" all the time!!!

I don't even like riding 2-up on the in-line machines that are "designed" for it, for much the same reasons. Personally, if I needed to ride 2-up I would get something with a rollcage, like a Rhino.

A "senior citizen" couple I know just bought an in-line 2-up. I would have tried to talk them out of it if I could....old bones break all the more easily!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Carry TWO??

In MN, it is legal to ride 2 up on a quad designed for one. And for many years the DNR looked the other way (WI too) , IF you werent doing anything stupid. (Like going fast, or on very technical trails, or hillclimbing and underage riders and no helmits.)
If all you plan on doing is a careful, easy ride down a road or trail, and both are wearing helmits, and both are adults...Then youre like the rest of us...been there ,done that. Plus, eventually the passenger is gonna be very bored, and soon will want a quad of her own.
There should be stickers on all quads, which state how unwise it is to ride 2 up, but theres also stickers on the side of cigarette packs advising against smoking, but people do anyway.
Just be aware, that the quad gets very tippy, 2 up , and stopping distances are longer, and if there is an accident, 2 are getting hurt, instead of one. The person on back, needs to stay engaged with the activities, and not just daydream.
Ive done 2 up riding for many years, and havent had one incident. Use your head, and youll be fine. Save the fast and fearless riding, for when you are alone.
No matter how many chime in, with dont do it....we all have.
My 2 cents

Old 12-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carry TWO??

Here, 2-up is legal also. On the 420 I would probably look into a stiffer rear spring on the shocks. Moose makes a rubber twist in spacer that works great.
The reason for firming up the rear shock is that with 2 riders the rear weight takes away from the steering. Myself, I would look into a little stiffer tire also for the extra weight, although I have customers out there who are riding 2-up with the stock tires and no issues. Probably raise the tire pressures to around 5 - 7 lbs when riding 2-up for more stability. A set of wheel spacers would also be a plus

----- Gimpster -----

Old 12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carry TWO??

you get a back rest and go for it...my rancher 420 rides better with 2 than 1

Old 12-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Carry TWO??

Thanks for everyone's great comments and advice. I'm not sure what Idaho's laws are regarding this. I'll have to find out. I really liked what hondabuster said about getting a 2nd quad. She loves her 2 wheeler though. Her family all rides 2 wheelers but now that I've got a quad, their interest in 4 wheelin has increased. Above all, I do believe in safety first, (being a physical therapist). I have worked on some real idiots when it comes to stuff like this. Anyways, I appreciate all of your speedy replies.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carry TWO??

Gimpster
Sorry to hy-jack this thread, but kinda on the same subject. I do carry a second rider sometimes, but in the winter, I am carrying a 70lb sand bag on the back and the snow-plow on the front. I have been looking into the HI-Lifter extra load springs. However I am curious about how the stock springs are removed from the shocks. I know about the compression tool, but how do you remove the spring from the shock. I have noticed the two slots at the top......does the spring screw off in a since out these slots?
Thanks for the Help

Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carry TWO??

To The Top
Any one give me help on removing the springs from the shcoks!
Thanks

Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Carry TWO??

why would you do this

Quick Reply: Carry TWO??