Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rolled Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rolled Rancher

reconranger i wouldn't worry about it for second , when i rolled my old 86'Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 down a chilf in the dark ; i know it rolled sideway's at least 10 to 12 times !

The reason this happened was i got to the end of the main trail and i saw this nice game trail to follow that ended at these giant rock formation's that run's along the mountain side , and no doubt it led to some cave's when i turned around to go back down in the dark ; and this is how i lost the game trail i came up to the top !

And on the way back down i lost the trail i came up on and the quad started to go to fast and when i hit the brake's to slow it down it was like i hit the thoddle instead of the brake so i aimed it for the first tree i saw , and it was here i got thrown from the Foreman while i was trying to turn it around in the dark on this steep cliff of a hill !

The quad rolled at least 10 to 12 time's and it might've been more because i got thrown off the quad , and i was rolling down the cliff in front of the quad trying to keep my leg's together so my knee's wouldn't hit the ground so hard ( i only have 5 or 6 inch's below my left knee and 3 inch's below my right knee ) and i could hear the Foreman banging down the cliff behind me ; so i kind of lost count !

And the only thought in my mind was please God let it stop rolling before i do !

And just as i stopped rolling i head the atv bang 2 or 3 time's more and it stopped , i looked up the cliff and i could see the headlight's shining sideway's to the cliff ; and the engine ran just a few second's maybe longer becaue after it stopped !

The angle it was in when it got stopped by the tree was about 1/4 turn from laying on it's back with all 4 wheel's off the ground , so the engine didn't or shouldn't run over a few second's before it flooded out the engine ; i had to remove my glove's so i could claw my way up to the quad !

When i got to the quad the only thing that was on , was the headlight and i could smell the strong odor of gas and hear the noise of a engine make's when it' shut down quick and cooling from being on the verge of over heating ; the first thing i did was to turn off the ignition the woods were so thick it was pitch dark !

I could hear thing's walking and see eyes glowing in the dark , and the way the quad was wedged again't this tree and the angle of the cliff i still don't know how i was able to get it on all four wheel's ; i guess it was fear , adreniline and God that gave me the strenth to get it on all four !

And i knew i wasn't getting back on it again because this was way to much of a slant to atempt turning it around in the dark in fact i was trying to turn it around when i got thrown off the qual , i was afraid to move and afraid of what was walking around me with eyes glowing in the dark all around me ; and the only light i had with me was a small 2 1.5 cell AA Maglight !

The woods i was in and the feet i could hear walking all around could've been Deer , opposses , ratcoons , fox , goundhogs are a cyote (wild dog ) and an ocational black bearl but then i remembered my wench ; but i knew i would need to start the engine or i would run down my battery !

So i got the engine started and to keep it running because this hill i was on was really a cliff , and i had to turn up the idle adjusting screw real high to keep it from stalling and i had put my gloves on to handle the cable and because it was a very hot august night i removed my helmet because it was so hot in these woods ; and my wench didn't have the long remote cable like the one i have now !

Even if it did on this steep of ground the atv would've rolled again if i hadn't been holding onto the front rack when i was sliding it around the helmet was on the front rack and it fell off the rack ( i could hear it rolling down this cliff but i never heard it stop ) , where it was pointed straight around with the head light shining up the cliff ; so i could locate the trees i needed to use as i wenched the atv up the cliff !

I clawed and climbed this cliff with the cable out as far as it would reach hooking the the cable around the tree then holding the cable with my gloves i slid down to the quad , and slowly eased the front end around and wenched it up as far as i could so i could ease out enough cable and rest the rear rack againt a tree ; and i know i did this at least 10 times or more untill i was on rocky ground i could get on the atv and ride the quad to a wide well marked trail !

That night i learned alot more than just how tough a Honda Engine and frame were , and i'm sorry about how long the reply is ; and reconranger you don't have to worry about the top end being damaged for lack of oil because i think your Rancher hold's more oil than my old 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman did !

It only held 2 quarts with the filter , i kept the engine oil and oil filter and air filter cleaned and reoiled every 10 hour's even after the first complete servicing and checked the valve clearance the first 20 hrs after that and it was still running and driving great when i finally sold it to my brother Nov. 2005 !

He didn't keep up the sevicing the way i did , and he finally blew the engine about 4 months ago racing it again't a 98' Yamaha 350 Wolverine 4x4 ; even though my brother and my nefew he was racing with told me the Honda was beating the Yamaha bad !

But no matter the outcome of the race , i'm sure it would still be running if he would've only kept up the maintence the way i did ; but he was like i'll do it tomorrow i know he changed the oil and oil filer 2 time's because i sold him the oil filter ; and i don't think he cleaned and reoiled the air filter over 1 ot 2 times since i sold it to him in Nov. 2005 !

And it never saw Synthetic oil only the old Castrol 20w50 summer and 10w40 winter , so you should be good to go ! And again sorry for the long reply , and you and everyone on these forums have a safe and happy new year ! ............