Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

electrical anomaly ....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical anomaly ....

ok get this.. i just got my neighbors old beat up 1993 fourtrax 200D. i knew it had problems when they gave it to me but i had no idea itd be this frusterating. it needed a new batter so i ordered an equivelent of the battery online and hooked it in, everything electrical looks like its working fine. the lights work fine. the neutral and reverse lights are on strong. i go to push the start button.. and i just get a click.. that is the solenoid. it doesnt turn over. doesnt crank. nothin. just clicks.so i think hey maybe i got the wrong battery. so i hook up the old battery and put it on the batter charger. it cranks over but doesnt start. i try it again and i get another solenoid click... so i put in the new battery again without the charger and it turns over but dies after i let off the throttle.so i try to start it again and yet another CLICK, for about 5 mins on and off it would turn over then click. then id wait and itd turn over again. a few days ago itd turn over fine. since i put in the new battery nothins been workin well. but when i put in the old battery.. it makes no difference.. anyone have any clue what is going on here. im 100% in the dark

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Look for a loose or corroded connection. You can hook up a voltmeter, and watch the voltage when the starter is engaged. Voltage should stay above 10 volts. If it drops too far, try going directly to the positive post on the starter, with battery voltage.
Its posible the starter brushes are worn to the point that its just starting to have trouble. If it has a rope pull, try pulling on the rope, next time the solinoid just clicks, to give the motor a light spin to assist the starter.
If it will start and run with throttle, but die when the throttle is released...check the pilot jet in the carb, its probably plugged.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

agrees--^ same happened to me. also try tappin the solenoid with somethin. it could be getting stuck and no power is going through every time

Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Try tapping on the starter while holding the start button. Mine also did the same thing, just clicked when I hit the start button. It turned the starter was going bad. I replaced the starter and everything was fine after that. Hope this helps

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

shouldnt be a carb problem.. i had it cleaned a few days ago..all the connections are snug. i dont have a rope pull lol.go figure right. one of hondas most obscure models ever. its hard for me to think its the brushes though because a few days ago itd start up fine. no problems. it hadnt been run since.