Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WoodRat

Jsgregg, don't buy the ES model just for the digital display. You can add a nice handlebar-mounted GPS which will provide you with much more data and features than the stock digital display on the Rancher ES. See photos of how I did it Here, and there is a recent discussion on this forum about GPS Units Here.</end quote></div>

I would definitly like a gps, but what I had in mind was a display that will keep track of the hours, milage, etc. Any advice there?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Range Rover
Default Need advice

All you need is an hour meter to keep your machine properly maintained, as per the owner's manual. Mine is a Honda hour meter which I bought from the dealer for $40, and it also shows engine rpm when running. As a unit separate from the GPS, you can tuck away the hour meter in a place less likely to be damaged by tree limbs and crashes than the GPS, which is normally on the handlebar and vulnerable to this kind of damage. Your speed, miles elapsed, compass, location, track line, etc. are all GPS functions. Even so, you may not need to use the GPS every time you ride, I don't always use mine, but whether I do or not, the hour meter remains connected. Again, see my photos.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

Thanks for the link trailrider. That is some good info. I am not going to take a chance with getting a late tax bill...lol.

I am going to pick my 2007 rancher tomorrow. I guess I will go with the manual shift. Seems to be the safer bet.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

WoodRat-
Some very nice pictures in your albums! I especially liked the 12V accessory plug you installed. Very neat job!!

Those pix in the Oregon sand dunes tell me I should stay away from sand since I only have a 2WD.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Range Rover
Default Need advice

Thank you Trailrider45, and by the way don't be afraid to run on the sand with 2wd, all the sport quads that run on sand are 2wd. Just be sure you have a tow strap in case you get stuck in deep soft sand off the beaten path as I did.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

lamneth, did you pick up your new Rancher? Let's hear about it!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

No, I was going yesterday but I got a late start due to work. Then it started raining in the evening. I am going tomorrow morning. Hope to pick it up and give a few hours of test ride in the evening. Then watch the UFC pay per view! I will update you guys when I get back Saturday.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

I went and picked up a helmet today...the Rancher will be next [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am actually going riding tomorrow with a buddy who bought two Ranchers (one for him, one for his wife) in October. It will be a great "test ride" for me.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

Cool. Are you getting the manual shift JSG? That is the one I am going to get too. I am still afraid of the ESP.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Yeah, I have pretty much committed myself to that one. Although, the machine I will be riding tomorrow is an ES. Do they have yours ready and waiting for you?

Quick Reply: Need advice