Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

Good evening to all! I am a first time poster here, and am just starting to get into ATVing. I am looking for a new bike and I need some advice. After doing some research, I have pretty much decided on the Honda Rancher. This will be my first ATV, and this model seems to represent the sweet spot. It will be used for trail riding (ATV trips to Hatfield McCoy) and not much else. I believe that the 4X2 manual shift will be the model for me. The dealer has quoted my $4200 OTD for this model. Is this a good price, or only average?

Am a looking at the right model for a first bike? As much as I would like the 4X4, the money is an issue and I just can't (and don't want too) afford it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Appears that list price for a new '07 Rancher w/manual shift is $4500. So if dealer will sell it to you for $4200 including sales tax, that's not a terribly bad deal as the tax might be $300-400 depending where you live. But seeing that this is now a 'leftover' '07 model, you might be able to negotiate a little better price.

I have an '05 Rancher also 2WD. I also do mostly trail riding, so for me it's a very good fit. The Rancher is nimble enough to get though most any trail I've thus far found. Not sure if I'd really want anything much bigger. All the majors make something that would fit your riding style, but I don't think you could go wrong with a Honda,

Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

Hey jsgregg. I too am in the market for a new 4 wheeler and was looking at the same exact model you are looking at. I currently have a 2007 Can-Am Outlander 800 and would like something a little smaller and in 2wd. Here is the best deal I have found on the rancher 420 2wd es:

FourTrax Rancher ES (TRX420TE)
MSRP $4,699.00
Our Price $3,483.00

This price is at Ritchie Powersports in Athens, TN. It's for a brand new 2007 model. Here is their website:

http://www.ritchiepowersports.com/

I am going to pick one up on Saturday. Not sure if you are close to that dealer but that is a great deal. I was there last week and know first hand they have some. They are even supposed to get more in this week. Hope that helps! I just noticed that this model is the ES. I think you said you were looking at manual. They have some of those too I think.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Thanks for the replies.

I had looked at the Rancher at Southern Honda for the same price you listed. I live in Richmond, VA...so it would be around 1100 miles round trip. After gas, food, and lodging I would save maybe $300...not counting two days of travelling. That pretty much eliminated making the trip. Even if I had bought from Southern Honda, I would still have to pay the sales tax in VA. VA requires ATV's to be titled...and thats when they hit you with the 5% sales tax.

The $4200 was after tax...so it seems to be a decent deal.

Another question I have been pondering is whether to get manual or electric shift. I like the idea of the electric shift...but I am a little apprehensive due to some of the things I have read here.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

Ahh, I see. I live near Bristol VA/TN border and it's about 3 hour 15 min trip me. So I can see your point.

You bring up a good point about the sales tax. I was wondering how they did that. A buddy of mine informed me even if you don't turn it in, they will send you a bill a few years later and even have a penalty. I was going to pay the tax when I titled it.

As for the electric shift, I am little leery of it too. I only have one friend who has a rancher es and they have no problems. But I get here and read about fairly good amount of issues surrounding them. I am probably going to get the manual shift when all is said and done. I talk myself into and out of the es about 5 times a day....lol.

Well, good luck and maybe I'll see ya riding on the trails!

Old 01-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice

I had a 2wd Rancher once, and it was pretty sweet. It had high ground clearance, and without the extra weight on the front end, it handled more like a sport quad than the 4X4.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lamneth
You bring up a good point about the sales tax. I was wondering how they did that. A buddy of mine informed me even if you don't turn it in, they will send you a bill a few years later and even have a penalty. I was going to pay the tax when I titled it.
</end quote></div>

I believe it works something like this:
If you live out of state, the dealer does not have to charge you sales tax. Then, some states do not (yet) title or register ATVs. So you would not pay the sales tax when you register. But if your state does issue a title for the ATV, you'll have to show where a sales tax has been paid - if not, your state will demand the sales tax due.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

This is a couple of years old now, and might not be up to date, but you can see how state regulations differ with regard to ATV registration. So far, my state does not require ATV registration, but situation might change as states devise additional ways to keep funding their budgets.

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/g...eets/StateReq_0803.pdf

Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Yeah, pretty much no getting around the sales tax...but, no big deal. I also seem to go back and forth between the ES and the manual [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I guess part of the appeal of the ES is the digital display (hours, mileage, MPH) Is anyone familiar with a good aftermarket display? Is it something that has to be professionally installed...or DIY?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Range Rover
Default Need advice

Jsgregg, don't buy the ES model just for the digital display. You can add a nice handlebar-mounted GPS which will provide you with much more data and features than the stock digital display on the Rancher ES. See photos of how I did it Here, and there is a recent discussion on this forum about GPS Units Here.

Quick Reply: Need advice