Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

Let me chime in and say that I should pick up my 07 Rancher ES within the week. I can't wait to wring mine out. I'll be hitting the occasional trail for now but initially I will use it to take care of the 14 acres I'm about to purchase (also hopefully within the next week). Forgive me for being a noob but what is the purpose of the 20 hr valve adjustment?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Range Rover
Default Need advice

Adb2f, since you haven't purchased your new Rancher yet, ask them to throw in the service manual to seal the deal, or at least get it for their cost. You'll need it if you plan to do your own maintenance, otherwise the manual costs about $50.

The valve check/adjustment at 20 hours is simply part of the prescribed maintenance for this engine, apparently because the clearance on either the intake or exhaust valve could change during this break-in period. I did mine a little late, at 24 hours as I recall, and very little adjustment was needed. But you need to check it.

Here's a link from last summer where this was discussed extensively on this forum:
Honda 420 Valve Adjustment - Tough Job?

The service manual pages covering the valve clearance adjustment appear on my page on this site, click on my camera icon and scroll down to find the links.

Good luck on your purchase, and I hope you get the property too.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Well, last night I went and picked up my brand new 07 Rancher ES![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I chose the ES because I really examined the type of riding that I want to do..combined with what I know about myself....and came to the conclusion that the ES would give me the most enjoyable riding experience (for me anyway[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

I really can't wait to get out and hit the trails. We have a 3 day trip planned to Hatfield McCoy in April, so I want to get the basic break in done by then.

Name:  atv003.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  290.6 KB

Name:  atv004.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  278.3 KB

I also need to start the project of outfitting my Honda with all of the odds and ends that you need for extended trail riding. What do you think Lamneth?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

hey jsg....all i can say is I am envious! looks really sharp and I wished I had waited to get the 420. i love my recon but after seeing yours makes me wished i had waited.

i noticed you went with the ES. i will be anxious to see what you think about it. not in terms of if potentially messing up, just how it does on the trail. my brother wants to get one and i think he is leaning toward the ES.

i am trying to get a few people from work to hit hatfield mccoy this summer. please let me know how your trip goes! oh, and pleae post reviews of your initial impressions on your rancher.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

Just checking to make sure that yall dealers is giving yall the free extra 6 months of honda care (or charging a small nominal fee like ritchies power sport is doing or was) and that your dealers tech isnt over filling your hondas. Lamneth, if your brother end up getting on from there make sure the oil isnt overfull because my brother was. Cool hondas guys.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Hmmm, what do you mean by free "extra" six months of Honda care? My Rancher came with a 6 month warranty (08's come with a one year warranty).

Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Need advice

hey orange i ask the guy at ritches and he said he hadn't heard of the extended 6 month warranty on the 07 models. he new of the 1 year for all 08 models. i was not going to argue on that with him while i didn't have a problem. now you can bet if i have a problem i will. but see i am 3 hours away so i would probably take it to a closer honda dealer, which is in kingsport, tn or bristol. i hope i don't have a prob but if i do i will certainly raise hell.

as for the oil, thanks for bit of info. i had forgotten about that. i hope my brother gets one soon, he is going back and forth between a rancherr or the new honda dual sport bike.....the 230 crf L.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Actually my dealer told me up front about the extra 6 month "free" warranty. I am in between a rock and a hard place, though. The land deal didn't go through. Something about the demographics not looking good to the lender. So no 14 acres, at this point. So it's hard to justify a Rancher. Still thinking, though. It may just be a stress reliever which adds valuable time to your life. Wink Wink.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. As you can see, my yard is not going to be my riding area. I think you are right on target with the stress reliever[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thats pretty much why I got one.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default Need advice

I found this in google:

Free Six Month Extended Service Contract
on New 2007 and Prior Year Honda ATV's

Torrance, Ca (7/12/2007) - Honda now offers six months of free
extended coverage to the original six-month warranties on new 2007 and
prior ATV models sold before 12/31/08.

This follows the recent news that all 2008 Honda ATVs will feature a 12