Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon Owners!!!! New Winch Mounting Technique for Rubicon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TexMud: They are on Douglas Polished Aluminum wheels. The Rubicon pulls the tires pretty good. Until we adjusted the Throttle it was a bit of a load, but since it pulls them fairly easily. The only place it will really pull hard is in deep mud or tundra holes. Low is a must then, however never have had the release valve kick in on it yet(the tranny). I have only heard of one doing it with overisized tires when they first come out. Does yours pull pretty well? Looked at your site, nice! I really liked the photos of your snorkel set ups. If you need any help on the Winch setup email me. I could send you more pics or directions if you needed. However I doubt you'll need it, your pictures show that your pretty handy:-) One thing I forgot to mention is on the fairlead. We extended it and put it also upside down so that it was extended beyond the plastic guard and also so the winch cable comes straight from the winch to the fairlead and out. Any questions or need better pictures let me know, would be glad to help. Talk to you later.

By the way, over the weekend we came up with a Grill and radiator guard for the Rubicon. We when we first got it put a tree stub up through the grill when riding. We came up with one simular to the headlight guards I have on the Rancher. However you don't need to weld the guard on the Rubicon, it can be held on by the bolts of the plastic guard and sits behind the plastic with those bolts. If you want though it can also be welded. Working on getting pictures and directions on how it was made put up on our site. If interested let me know, later.

Scott

Old 01-16-2001, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

What is the release valve? I have never heard of it and I am no where near my service manual? My rubicon turns my tires as if they were stock. Glad you liked the snorkel stuff. It comes in handy down here. I will let you know on the winch thing. It may be a bit since I am working on our Rancher now.

Please give us more detail on the radiator guard, it sounds interesting.

Old 01-16-2001, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

TexMud: When we bought our Rubicon it was explained another advantage to our Tranny was this. That unlike other quads when the load becomes to great it slips the clutch. It was this that doesn't happen in the Rubicon. It will let out a noise and release pressure so that the tranny will not be damaged. Is this true, I don't know and it isn't in the manual like you said. However I have heard of one making the noise on this forum, but never witnessed this. To be honest I've expected to hear it on ours due to bogging in the tundra. But havn't yet. I assumed there had to be some type of release valve for pressure to be let off though. Do you know?

Will have info up on Grill protector some time this week hopefully. It is really easy to make and looks nice.

later,
Scott