Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How about Rancher vs Foreman

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008 | 08:11 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default How about Rancher vs Foreman

I posted before with the sticky shifting 08 Yamaha Big Bear 400. Dealer took it back so I am back with Honda. I have a 2000 Rancher and like it plenty. Never any problems.

Now at the dealer, the are suggesting I go with the 4x4, power steering Foreman. The trade off is that the Rancher has fuel injection, water cooled and is a bit smaller.

I am also a little put off as he is quoting me the full MSRP and all the other 07 Hondas including other Foreman show a significant discount. He was going to add in a $500 rebate, but seems like he is pulling the wool over my eyes a bit. He said that this particular Foreman was original price because of the power steering... is he pulling my chain on this?

Maybe I should take the refund on the Big Bear and start over with a new dealer.

Any difference in the 07 and 08 Foreman?

Anyway, I do mainly utility type work in tight woods with narrow trails. Hauling wood and stuff. I may put one of those Snow Hogg snow blowers on it eventually. I occasional take it to the sand dunes for some subdued fun.

So are the trade offs (water cooled and fuel injection) compared with the Foreman power steering and more power that big of a deal? I simply want something dependable, but the power steering seems like a good feature.

Old 02-18-2008 | 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Where are you located? If you aren't to far from Chattenooga, TN. The Honda dealer is great there. Their prices are low, and they post them on line with no hidden costs. We drove the 6 hours to get there and bought a 2006 Foreman from there in Jan of 2007 for $4983 out the door, just like their website advertised! It's a 500 ES. They didn't play any games with us on the price. They did try to get us to buy accessories and have them install them. We had them put some oxlite boot protectors on. Check out their prices for yourself. It Might be worth a road trip!!!! Oh yes, we had them hold one for us via email from the website, but there was no need to woory at that time, they had hundreds in stock...LOL

http://www.southernhonda.com

If you can't get there, at least you can compare the prices and get an idea wether this dealer is really sticking it to you. Here's a few prices I copyed from their website. These are all 2007 models.

FourTrax® Foremantm 4x4 ES (TRX500FE)
MSRP $6,649.00
Our Price $5,283.00

FourTrax® Foremantm 4x4 (TRX500FM)
MSRP $6,449.00
Our Price $4,999.00

FourTrax® Ranchertm AT GPScape (TRX400FGA)
MSRP $6,349.00
Our Price $4,633.00

They have 14 models of 2007 utility machines listed.

We have a rancher and a Foreman. My Rancher is like driving a Bronco.....and the Foreman is like driving a big powerful truck, or like a 17 hand horse versus a 14 hand horse. Or like a Ford mustang versus a caddy. I like them both....but that Foreman ROCKS!!! It's my husbands, and I'm a little jealous!!!!! I like his Foreman better......it's a smooth, powerful machine.

Anyway, I hear people fly down from Alaska to buy Gold Wings from Southern Honda, then ride them back up to Alaska. Their prices are great!!!

Old 02-18-2008 | 10:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

If you do mostly work, I think I would go with the Foreman. With the Rancher package, they went more for the sporty end of the spectrum. As a work machine, I don't think the FI or water cooling is going to be any advantage at all. As for the power steering, mostly it reduces steering feedback...kind of a super steering damper.

Old 02-18-2008 | 11:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Also, I wouldn't pay full price for the PS Foreman...

The Foreman probably has more torque, and I think the clutch is bigger. It handles well, and I enjoy mine as a trail machine.

The Rancher is snappy, lighter, a little smaller, and a little lower. As noted above, the Rancher is sportier, but I think would also be fine for occasional hauling firewood or whatever.