Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420FM Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420FM Stalling

I was out ice fishing yesterday....on my ride back the Honda just lost power and stalled. Both fuel injector light and temp light went on before engine cut out. Here is the funny thing. Bike would fire right back up after putting back in neutral. Also if I caught engine trying to stall and shifted to neutral it would remain running. Sometimes it would stall out soon after I began to take off.
Also, as note bike would not start first thing in the morning (never had this happen before) would turn over but not catch. Gave it a little gas and it fired up.
Maybe a fuel injector issue? Had no problems on the way out to fish.....only on way back
Gas is new, always fill it up to full after use, and I run stabilizer through it. Bike has 8 hours and an oil change done at 4hrs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default 420FM Stalling

OK...I am thinking it might be a faulty fuel pump. I can barely, if at all, hear the fuel pump operating when I turn ignition switch on. My buddy has same bike and you can hear a very audible priming sound when ignition is turned on.
Does this sound like the cause taking into consideration my first post?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 420FM Stalling

It definitely sounds like a fuel pump. Since the machine is fuel injected, that would be the first thing I would check. It also explains running in neutral, because we all know it doesn't take half as much gas to the engine. I would check the pump, and while you are doing that go ahead and check the fuel filter to make sure nothing is blocking it. It seems like all our friends who never change any oil or filters can run forever, and we take extra care of our atvs and we always have problems! lol

Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default 420FM Stalling

Bringing it into Dealer next Monday. Service guy basically told me it was water in the gas over the phone. Have to question that from my explanation and the fact that he has not even seen the bike.
Said he has never seen a fuel pump go in a Honda so that cannot be the problem. Any Pros i.e. Honda Mechanic wanna chime in? Got a feeling they are just going to sluff me off and not do anything since bike runs and probably will run fine when they have it. Guess who I am going to have to PAY when this happens after warrantee???

Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420FM Stalling

I agree with the dealer, water in the gas would cause those symptoms, I've seen it alot on fuel injected snow mobiles. If I were you, I'd get a bottle of gas line antifreeze and pour in about 200mls in the tank and go for a good ride, the problem should clear itself up in about 20 to 60 mins of riding. If this dont solve your problem (which it will 95% of the time) bring it into the dealer. When we go skidooing or on the bikes in the winter we always carry gas line antifreeze in our tool kits.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default 420FM Stalling

Well I am a sucker for punishment. Took Action450s advice and put in some gas line antifreeze couple days before next trip. Went out 10 miles on the lake to my favorite trout spot. Only stalled a couple times going out. Coming in it was BRUTAL.....must have stalled (or tryed to stall before putting in neutral) over a 100 times (no exaggeration) while driving in white out conditions. It would even stall sometimes in neutral while idling. Never so happy to see shore. I hightly doubt this is a water in the fuel issue.
Sometimes the fuel injector light and the temp light would stay on and the bike would not start.....other times the lights would flicker and the machine would die. Should have bought a Chiwaneeze bike and saved some money for my agrevation.
Taking bike into Dealership tomorrow. Anyone else experienced this type of problem? or have suggestions. If it is water in the fuel....how come problems only occur mostly on return run?

Old 03-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420FM Stalling

take it to the dealer, water wouldn't cause such a major issue

Old 03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default 420FM Stalling

You may have an intermittant gear position or nuetral position sensor problem. And this might be caused by slightly out of spec sensor or linkage location. This is common issue on fuel injected automatic quads like Grizzly and might be issue with fuel injected manual shift Ranchers.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Range Rover
Default 420FM Stalling

Tried to read through all the post's and did not see whether you or someone else ever mentioned checking the spark plug. I bought a new rancher 420 FE this past week. I took it home from the dealer and right away it would not idle correctly. I initially thought there might be water in the "splash" of gas they put in the atv. The next day I called the service department and was told to bring it in. The plug was black/fouled. They replaced it and it appears to have fixed the idle issue. Seems kinda strange to me that this would happen on a brand new maching though.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 420FM Stalling

EDIT:

Honda 4 you

----- Gimpster -----

Quick Reply: 420FM Stalling