Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

420FM Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 420FM Stalling

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Gimpster

I feel sorry for them. Especially if it is not cold to try to get to the root of the issue. No matter what they do, it will seem like they found the issue. If it is not cold the problem wil not show up for weeks. It will show on the spark plug eventually. Back in october, I started with the basics, valve adjustments, starter motor draws, compression tests and on and on. Bottom line, we have no equiptment to check exhaust temps, remap ecms etc... Honda has to fix this one.

Cleaning and or replacing the IACV makes a difference. I have made units stop pushing black by replacing ECMs. But they are back at the dealership a week later with the same problem.

I sure hope they clear up this problem, and not use this type of fuel injection on the big red side by side. I still have no tec info on them yet eather.

At -40 degree temps, 20 mph winds with my 2001 TRX450, setting for 2 days in the sub zero temps, I can turn on the key, pump the primer twice and it fires up and runs with no plug fouling etc... the 420 should act the same.

Let me know if they come up anything legit for a cure on your quad

----- Gimpster -----</end quote></div>

Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default 420FM Stalling

Gimpster....I will give you a detailed update of what they say. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are going to strongly minimize everything and once they get the bike running, they will hand me the keys and say "have a nice day". Service Manager is an erogant sort that most likely back up Honda....not the client (me).
I will not accept a quick fix......
Thanks again and I will let you know what happens

Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default 420FM Stalling

O.K. just got the call from the Dealership. The problem.....the screws from the battery terminals came loose and was causing arcing. This killed/fried my battery. I had installed a Battery Tender and I guess had not tightened up bolts good enough. (little red faced about that one) Dealership put in a new battery and put it under warrentee. Service guy turns out to not be that bad of a guy after all.
Gimpster.....you will not be happy to know that the Service Manager referred to you as "some Quack on the internet that fixes stuff out of his garage" Tryed to defend you as you help people on here all the time.......but he said what you wrote was "garbage" Don't shoot the messenger. Said that they have had no issues with what you were referring to in your replies to this topic and he has sold tonnes of the new 420's and none have come back with what you are claiming.
He did say that Honda is aware of some issues with the 420's but it is unrelated to what you have mentioned. Said it has to do with a reliability issue and it is not known to the public and would not elaborate. Basically said that if there is a recall we 420 owners will get notification in the mail and it will be covered by Honda.
Thanks for the replys and hopefully I will be a very happy Honda owner for years to come.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Range Rover
Default 420FM Stalling

Great news Wayne. I'm glad you were treated good and that it wasn't a serious problem at all. Good to hear

Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 420FM Stalling

As for "reliability" issues, I have seen a few posts both here and elsewhere of coolant in the oil (seems like it started with the 08's), so if there is a recall I will bet it has something to do with that...maybe a batch of bad gasgets or something like that......

Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default 420FM Stalling

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Wayne36

O.K. just got the call from the Dealership. The problem.....the screws from the battery terminals came loose and was causing arcing. This killed/fried my battery. I had installed a Battery Tender and I guess had not tightened up bolts good enough. (little red faced about that one) Dealership put in a new battery and put it under warrentee. Service guy turns out to not be that bad of a guy after all.

Gimpster.....you will not be happy to know that the Service Manager referred to you as "some Quack on the internet that fixes stuff out of his garage" Tryed to defend you as you help people on here all the time.......but he said what you wrote was "garbage" Don't shoot the messenger. Said that they have had no issues with what you were referring to in your replies to this topic and he has sold tonnes of the new 420's and none have come back with what you are claiming.

He did say that Honda is aware of some issues with the 420's but it is unrelated to what you have mentioned. Said it has to do with a reliability issue and it is not known to the public and would not elaborate. Basically said that if there is a recall we 420 owners will get notification in the mail and it will be covered by Honda.

Thanks for the replys and hopefully I will be a very happy Honda owner for years to come.</end quote></div>

That is funny. I am going to private message you my personel Honda DSP #. If he knows the Honda system, to look my credentials up by my DSP # on the system. That speaks for itself. I have training from Honda noted back in the early 90's and much before they kept track on their dealer network, when things were done on paper and not computers. Plus over 25 years of experience in this field. Like I have said before, I am not god, I don't wear sandals. We are a Honda Powerhouse. Everything Honda, not just your normal run of the mill Honda dealer.
On another note, Honda will not come out with a recall. It would cost them too much money. They will send out a service bulletin to the dealerships. Then and only then if a customer complains about the issue, they will have a cure and will not have to fork over the millions they would on a full pledged recall.
This run of the mill garage mechanic, so to speak, quit Honda today. It took this garage tech 3 1/2 hours to load all of my tools and equiptment out of the dealership.
Keep an eye on your spark plug and sooty exhaust and good luck come next winter. hahaha, battery connections..... Told you they would put some icing over it to cover the issue.

So see you all, glad I could help those on here that I have.

I am out of here.
might stop in every now and then

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

----- Gregg -----

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 420FM Stalling

I can't recall if the owner's manual recommends this, but you guys running in ultra cold weather might want to try a hotter spark plug???