Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

advise on fluids to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise on fluids to use

The manual says to use 10-40 engine oil. I would like to use synthetic oil. What is everyone running in theirs. States for the rear end to use SAE 80. Again, what type of synthetic to use or is their any synthetics made for these. Did a search and couldnt find anything real recent.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

You can get the Mobil1 MXT4 10W-40 at autozone ,advance auto parts and some Wal-marts. (You'll need 2.1 Qts) I have used the Mobil1 5W40 Truck and SUV stuff and have not had any problems with the clutch even though it not MA rated.

As for the gear oil, I'm partial to the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. But any synthetic 75W90 will do. (8.1oz)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

AMS oil makes some really good lubricants and fluids. You can use that for engine, and differentials.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much. RemedyX you have been of such great help. I did notice it called for 2.1 quarts. What in the world were they thinking with that extra .1 qt. I'm sure I can get by with two quarts even. I don't abuse any of my equipment and always maintain everything very well. Will probably change oil and filter twice a year.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

You're welcome, lzrj. I enjoy helping a fellow Rancher rider.
Don't forget to change the oil filter also.

I saw you're other post about lift kits. Get the 12" rims and 25" tires first, then see if you still want a lift. Our Rancher is more than high enough with this setup. We ride in some very rocky terrain and have yet to hit the bottom of the bike.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, I just bought a used 04' Rancher 350 today to use around my lake property. Does my ATV use the same fluids and amounts as mentioned above? Does anyone have a part number for a oil and air filter also? Any other recommended maintenence at this time?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

From looking before I bought the 04's are the same as the 06's. This is for the 2x4. Not sure if the other fluids other than engine would be different on the 4x4's.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't forget to do the valve adjustment. Also make sure the oil filter is in the right way.

Oil wise, the book calls for API rating SG or higher, and JASO MA. The JASO MA rating is specific for motorcycles, indicating that the oil provides adequate friction for wet clutches. Don't use anything with moly or with ptfe/teflon.

Axle wise, I'd make sure the hypoid gear oil is rated GL-5. I put Redline 75W90 synthetic in mine, since I had some lying around...

Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, it was kind of an instict buy as I was not even looking, so be it! Anyways mine is a 4x4 and i'm also looking at replacing the battery at this time. What seems to be the best? I'm sure RemedyX will chime in and have to simple answers for me. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Battery wise, the stock one is an AGM type, which resist vibration better, don't leak when tipped or even when broken, and last longer than flooded cells.

For a replacement, I'd stick with an AGM type of at least the same amp hour capacity of the stock one. There was a thread a while back about what larger capacity batteries would fit in what machine...

Quick Reply: advise on fluids to use