Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

advise on fluids to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise on fluids to use

Thanks, Like I said i'm just going to be using it for casual riding at the lake. My plan beings it's a used ATV is to complete some general maintence . I plan on a:

Oil Change - Honda, Lucas, or Maxima: All are sold locally. What is the correct weight and amount?
Oil Filter - Factory Honda?
Gear Lube - What is the correct weight and amount?
Battery - Honda Dealer, Wal-Mart, and Napa are about my only retail choices locally.
Spark Plug - NGK?
Air Filter - replace or clean?

Sorry, for hijacking the thread and asking for such detailed answers but I want to make sure I do everything correctly the first time!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

IMHO any of the oils you have listed is probably OK. 10W-40 for most operating temps. The book will list other weights for unusually cold or hot temps. I believe your machine takes a bit over 2 quarts. I'd buy 3 to have some extra on hand anyway. On most Hondas you check by letting it idle for a couple minutes, and letting it sit a couple minutes. Wipe the dipstick off and set it against the treads to take a reading.

I'd run the factory Honda filter. I believe your machine is one of the type that if the filter is put in backwards it will block all oil flow (with predictable results). Honda filters are high quality, and stamped on both ends which way they go.

Gear lube spec is hypoid gear oil SAE #80. 75W90 rated GL-5 would probably be fine. It holds very little. (Foreman is like 2.5 oz rear and 6.3 front or something like that). There is probably a fill level plug.

Battery wise, you could call the others to see if they have something, and if not go Honda. Again I'd avoid a cheap flooded cell, but that's just me...

Cooling wise, it's a 350 Rancher you are talking about, correct? If so I believe it's air cooled...

The other thing you should really do is the valve adjustment.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

i would be carefull about using fully synthetic oil i have heard (no personal expirience)that it will cause your clutch to slip.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Patches3489

i would be carefull about using fully synthetic oil i have heard (no personal expirience)that it will cause your clutch to slip.</end quote></div>

It's only the "Energy Conserving" label oils that cause the clutch to slip. I have used 5W40 Mobil1 Truck and SUV,it's now called Turbo Diesel I think, and also Rotella T Synthetic with no ill effects.

As for the battery, I have used the AGM ones from Batteries Plus. They seem to crank the engine better than the stock Honda one. Plus they're only $45.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Oil wise, if it's rated MA and SG and no molly or PTFE, it should be fine...

Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Patches3489

i would be carefull about using fully synthetic oil i have heard (no personal expirience)that it will cause your clutch to slip.</end quote></div>

God I hate hearing this. There a many "full" synthetic "Motorcycle oils" they are ALL designed for wet clutches.

If it won,t make a 175hp Kawasaki ZX-14 clutch slip doing a "stop the traffic due to smoke brake stand " it won't let a 30 hp semi auto ATV clutch slip also.

Just use synthetic everything motor oil,gear oil,2troke oil and even synthetic grease and not those rip off with 10% at most synthetic blends either.