Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

scramler 500 4x4 vs. 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't we all grow up and respect other peoples opinions and their quads?

Ride whatever the heck you want and have a darn good time doing it!

Old 01-19-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

If I remember right the Banshee out accelerates a 400ex...right? Now if my very lightly modded Scrambler can out accelerate a lightly modded Shee...logically it would out accelerate a 400ex!

Yes it does...but who gives a hoot! Take me on a trail in the woods and that 400ex will be history...as long as the trail aint full of whoops! (I know my weaknesses)

Old 01-21-2001, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have to agree with sportsmafletch.

I spent nearly 20,000 on my two quads, plus 40K for my truck, plus 2K for my trailer. I had a chance to ride a Scrambler 500 some weeks ago and while it was fun because there was no shifting needed it BROKE down less than 10 minutes into the ride. I was doing nothing more than tooling around a gravel lot and decided to hit a smallish, maybe 1 foot tall jump. I landed and heard a "clunk" and noticed the chain was slapping badly. Took it back and sure enough, the Scrambler broke it's rear carrier for the 3rd time.

Sorry, until Polaris stops making what I consider to be junk I will never allow one of them in my stable. Shame too because I think Polaris hit on something with their ideas...just too much maintenance and not enough thought. Thanks but I'll stick with Honda's.

P

Old 01-21-2001, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Some of us feel the same way about Hondas. Besides the Rubicon, which has yet to prove itself, their idea of improving an outdated quad is to put brighter stickers on it, and up the price $400.

Old 01-21-2001, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nice try QF. Also, don't take any of what I am saying personally, it's not an attack at all.

Don't even try to tell me or anyone else of Polaris' "legendary" reliability since they have none. I'm sure there are quite a few Polaris owners out there that have had few if any problems with their quads and thats great. I am also positive there are tons of Polaris owners out there with nothing but bad things to say about them. Yes, all manufacturers have their share of lemons. However, the lemon ratio with Polaris is arguably much much higher than any other manufcaturer.

You and others continue to carp about how the Rubicon is "unproven".
Garbage. The transmission in the Ruby is a proven unit, ala the Hondamatic. I seem to recall that transmission being around for a heck of a long time. It's also far more technically advanced than any other ATV trans on the market. Will the Ruby hold up over time? Of course it will, it's a Honda. Do you seriously think Honda would drop a new ATV on the market without doing their homework? Not a chance.

As someone stated in another post, how many Polaris' do you see out there winning races? Zero.
Does that mean they are junk? Nope. Does it mean I will buy one? Nope.

Polaris has their place in the market and any innovation they happen to get to market first can only have the effect of strengthening the most reliable ATV's on the market, Honda.

Yeah, so the Sportsman HO can out pull others in it's class. So? Thats hardly a measure of a sucessfull ATV. If you Polaris owners want to hang that above your fireplace, go right ahead. It makes no difference to me.

To me the innovations means squat since I know damn well I don't need a grease gun and a line of credit to maintain my Honda's. Can many Polaris owners say the same thing about their ATV's? I doubt it.

Prove me wrong. Show me your repair bills and I'll show you mine. Wait, I have none. No warranty work, no unscheduled maintenance, no failures of ANY kind.

There is no substitute.

Phil

Old 01-21-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Why do you think Honda is #1 in sales? I will tell you! Because they are #1 in reliability! I think the only reason Polaris is #2 in sales is because of the belt system, NO CLUTCH and NO SHIFTING. With so many new buyers in the ATV world, they look for easiest machine to operate, that being Polaris. Other major manufacturers are doing the same, they are incorporating easy to operate transmissions into their bikes, right now that will help sales. And when they do, Polaris better come up with something better than left over snowmobile clutches and belts.
As far as the Rubicon goes, with the reputation Honda has, they would never jepordize that by putting a new bike on the market they are not sure will meet and repeat the Honda reputation for reliability.

Old 01-21-2001, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Poopeye:

Polaris has never once touted any of their machines as high perfromance, race ready machines. And none of them are. They are simply user-friendly trail machines, period. They can, however, be sucessfully, and easily modified to be a very fast trail machine. I had no delusions of becoming a racer when I bought mine.

The Hondamatic has not been proven in a quad.

They seem to have blown off their homework, they recalled 126,000 quads.

We cannot compare repair bills, I have none.

I don't need credit. I paid cash for my house, truck, 2 quads, 3 boats, motorhome, and 2 tag-a-long campers. I sleep very well at night.

Old 01-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm just curious about what in fact an Xpress is. Polaris seems not just to come up with new names every other year, but to simply move the names around their product line (eg. the Xplorer that was a 500 4-stroke with independent suspension became the sportsman, and a 2-stroke chain drive became the xplorer)
Or maybe the xpress was only for sale in the US and was sold under another name here. Either way, could somebody let me know what exactly it was?

Old 01-21-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Quadfather, look at this for recalls. This is just the snowmobiles alone that have recalls lately, I didn't have time for atv's , but when I do I will post them.

7/20/99--Polaris voluntarily recalls 67,000 snowmobiles
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Polaris Industries Inc., of Minneapolis, Minn., is voluntarily recalling about 67,000 snowmobiles.

Old 01-22-2001, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ahh, trying to start a pissing contest. Nice try, you failed. I will, however, throw this # in. 136,000 Polaris` recalled in 2000. Guess that means the Polaris is unproven too, eh?

I checked and checked and checked and can't seem to find anything on the CPSC site about the Honda Rubicon. I did see something about the Rancher and 400 EX though. If you have some information that no one else has, please enlighten us.

The Hondamatic IS a proven transmission, period, end of discussion. The fact that 4 wheels are attached instead of two is meaningless. The engineering principles are set in stone and it has worked, period. Continue arguing all you like, it will get nowhere.

You can continue ad nauseum about how great the Polaris is. The day I rode that Scrambler convinced me once and for all to never ever purchase a Polaris. I don't care what the brochure says or how many folks on these contentious forums claim their Polaris is the king of all things motorized. I will not take a risk with my hard earned money. I'll never be convinced and to me thats all that matters since I determine what I buy, not you or anyone else.

You should be proud that you could pay cash for your home and your toys. Me, I chose to use my money a bit more wisely by taking a mortgage with an LTV under 80%, which avoids PMI and letting my investments do something for me rather than be stuck in a home. Mortgage interest is a wonderful thing indeed. I suppose my degree was good for something after all.

nightynight

Phil

Quick Reply: scramler 500 4x4 vs. 400ex?