Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best 400EX engine kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who makes the best engine kits? What are the different sizes they offer? I thought I'd have the local shop do the work and just buy the kit instead of sending the engine across the country. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Old 01-20-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2001, 03:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I can't speak for anyone else, but I had Mickey Dunlap's Four Stroke Tech do the work on mine. I took it apart and everything and took him the parts. My downtime was minimal (few weeks)and I build automotive motors all the time and I was very impressed with the machine work he did. Everything bolted back together just like it should too! If you are in KY you wouldn't be sending your motor very far either(pa).I know how you feel about shipping your motor off, that is alot of trust to put in the courier and the guy you are shipping it too, plus this is 01 and the odds alone of getting flim-flammed are enough to scare you to death! I was a little suspicious too at first so I didn't even ship mine, I hand delivered it to the guys doorstep. Once I saw his operation I was pretty relaxed with leaving my parts there. Also when he shipped it back to me, he sent it priority mail instead of the more shall we say "accident" or "oops" prone means of delivery. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to plug the guy but he does excellent work at reasonable prices in a reasonable amount of time, and I think that is what we are all after. Besides there is a big difference in trying to get an automotive type shop (which is most likely who you would be able to find) to try to do a quad engine, and letting somebody do it who does it all the time do it. He has a few different kits for these motors and I bought the biggest and I'm super happy with it ! I wasn't trying to preach to you about the guy or anything I just would hate to see you have to buy a new cylinder because Cooter at the Hazard garage chewed the side out of it with the boring machine while he was scopin' Daisy's a$$!! Hope this helped...

Old 01-21-2001, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

my motor is at Four Stroke Tech as I type this.

I can't say much about his work, but as a person he seems very honest, and full of information. Prices are good too.

Port and Flow work is 250, Resleeving 130, CDI mods 85. I'm pretty sure its the same for 400EXs.

Their number is

814-842-6159

Old 01-21-2001, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Man,
I was riding a red and white warrior when I raced at Echo Valley,I got second,I was racing with some 300ex's and abig bore 250 x and he beat me.I swaped to this topic because I kwew you would read this...Peace

Old 01-21-2001, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the place I was going to take my quad to is Taylor's Tuning. Around here, a lot of the racers use Taylor's when they want work done on their machines. They don't do any other type of work besides quads. Nothing automotive. They've done work on a few friend's quads, and everything was done well and right. I just thought I could save a little money by going here, and not shipping my motor off. Do you think that it would be a good idea? Thanks.

grip75,
I didn't attend all of the Echo Valley races last season. The last race I remember was with a tricked out, blue Warrior, along with two similar Warriors, and a few other different quads. I thought that you may have been one of those riders. Anyway, how do you like the track at Poole? I think it's laid out well, and has some nice jumps. I'm looking forward for summer so that I can practice some more, and possibly race if I have finished my modifications by then. Later

Old 01-21-2001, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

wcy2k400ex,I really like the track alot but my ability limits me still.Hopefully I can practice more this year and get better.I think I have it worked out with one of my co-workers to make it to more races this season.
I wouldnt worry about finishing all your mods to race,I have noticed that rider skill plays a major part in these local races.I still have alot to do to my bike before I will be totaly happy with it.I bent my axle on the finish line table top.Its rideable just a little lop sided.
I went to another track in Bremen that was built by the same guy that did Poole and it was a little harder but still fun.
Ive heard that some racers liten their flywheels to make it rev quiker.Ever heard that?
Do you have this web site WWW.ROBIN1GRAFIX.COM? Gotta go,Later

Old 01-21-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I have to wait for some new front shocks. Mine are on their last leg. After I get those, I'd like to put on an axle, wheels and tires.

Anyway, I have heard about lightening the flywheel. Kenny, the owner, was telling me one day that they lightened the flywheel on his son Bradley's 400EX. He talked like it made a world of difference. I believe he said they shaved a pound off of it.

Echo Valley has their own website up now. http://www.echovalleymx.com. It hasn't been up for long, so it doesn't have a lot of information on it, but it's a nice start.