Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Sup Guys. New to the Forums....couple ?s.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sup Guys. New to the Forums....couple ?s.

Sup guys. I am about to pickup the 08 rancher ES but I have a couple of questions that I cant find the answers to.

1. Whats top speed on ES?
2. I know that the difference between the ES and regular rancher is either the floor or hand shifting and also the ES has the digital speedo...but is there anything else different between these two? For only 200 bucks difference, the ES looks like a certain buy...but just wondering first.

3. I just read a forum with some shifting issues with the ES. Is this a common problem?

4. I wont be riding extremely hard very often (will mostly have the wife riding with me), but when I do....how important is the 4x4 or can I just get away with a winch?

I think this is all that I have for now. I plan to be a regular on here and hope that I can answer some questions one day. Anyway...thanks for the help.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

The ES is a good system, basically they just stick an electric motor on the shifter and a couple sensors to tell the bike what gear its in. That being said the non ES model is much simpler and less prone to problems over the long term. My non ES honda foreman has been stone cold reliable every ride over the last 10 years.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

I have a 07 rancherTE, bought the es model so my wife would like riding it too. Now she has a polaris 400HO but that is another story. I had always had a foot shift model for 20 years and thought I would not like it as much. I now have about 300 miles and am enjoying it more than I had expected. I go riding with friends that have four wheel drive and have yet to get stuck, you just have to know what to go around. I have made it in mud past the tires but also have a winch for the time I may forget I only have 2-wheel drive. I have had it up to 54 mph and there was some left but that is fast enough for me. My fast days are long gone. I beleive you will be very happy with it if you get it.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years, there has pretty much constantly been an ES problem post or two in this and other forums....from the time when it first came out about a decade ago. Hum....like this one which I am sure you have seen:

http://forums.atvconnection.co...atid/8/threadid/541643

So, it is logical to conclude that this is a component that doesn't quite live up to Honda's usual reputation for being bulletproof. All I know is that for me my left foot IS bulletproof, and why would I want to give them $200 for something I neither need nor want?

If knowing this, you decide the convenience of ES outweights the possibility of future problems, then go for it......

Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I have to agree, I had a 2000 450 foreman ES but I never got why they think shifting with your thumb is some how easier than with your foot? I think its because the foot shift models can not have full floor boards? Not sure though.

Could also be if your up to your tank in muddy watter and need a different gear you do not have to put you leg into the water?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

In all fairness the 200.00 dollars is also for the digital display.

Recon, by all your posts on es models I dont think you would take one if they were giving them away!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help so far guys. I do like the digital speedo a lot.....but still kinda indifferent on the ES. One more opinion though... I can get the 08 ES 2x4 or a 06 (still new at dealer) 4x4 ES for the same price. Granted the 4x4 is a 350 and heavier....but it sounds like something to consider. Opinions? Thanks again.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is also a tendency with ES to "powershift" , and not let off the throtle at all while shifting (this isn't a paddle shifter on an automatic transmission!). This is of course going to be harder on everything.....

And as for the $200....while that isn't much compared to the total price of the vehicle, there are lots of folks in here who will bitch about having to spend $4.00 for a quart of oil (much less the $10 ester synthetic I always recommend!). Well, seeing most folks only change oil once a year (if that), that $200 would buy you a lifetime worth of cheap oil!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

i got a major problem ... my honda 350 just used a set of bearings in less then a month and i have no idea why ... they were all ***** bearings and the guy who put em in is a certified mechanic ... HELP !!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jpfinbin2006

i got a major problem ... my honda 350 just used a set of bearings in less then a month and i have no idea why ... they were all ***** bearings and the guy who put em in is a certified mechanic ... HELP !!!!</end quote></div>

You should start your own thread for your question, you will get more responses. It will get buried, and not read while in someone elses thread. There are a lot of great mechanics on here....but they can't answer you if they never see your post.

Quick Reply: Sup Guys. New to the Forums....couple ?s.