Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rincon Spitting and Sputtering!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008 | 07:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Rincon Spitting and Sputtering!!

I got a 05 Rincon, 6500 miles, 27 inch mud runners, 1.5 inch lift in the front and a self-fabricated muffler tip (2 inch), and a dealer installed jet kit and k&n filter. No major problems throughout the life of the bike other than cv boots, tie rod ends, and a water pump. Now it starts fine, idles fine, but at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it will cut out and off if i dont let off the gas, sometimes higher rpm sometimes lower, and the ironic thing is, this started happening 1 month after the extended warranty expired. The service manager told me over the phone that it sounded like a jet stopped up. I know for a fact that it is not trash in the tank b/c i took it off and completely cleaned and rebuit it. i am a novice mechanic so i am not going to tear into the carb. and with $110 per hour shop fee, i can buy the whole new carb for $250. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2008 | 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So it ran fine after the mods and jets, until recently?

If so, I'd concur with the dealer that the carb likely needs cleaned. It really isn't that big of a deal for someone with moderate mechanical skills and a service manual.

If you haven't done something like that before, maybe there's an experienced buddy you could invite over to help?

Old 04-24-2008 | 05:33 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i am pondering taking it off but scared to disassemble it, where can i get a service book from? and yeah i got the mods when it was new, just ran fine one weekend, sorry the next weekend in february

Old 04-24-2008 | 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, dirty carb, it dont take much dirt to fool up a carb, so small you may not even see it when you dissassemble it. Its not a big deal to take it apart, do it on a bench covered in white cloth so you dont loose any parts and you can lay everything out the way it comes apart.

A can of aerosol carb clean will be a great help.

Old 04-24-2008 | 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd recommend B-12 chemtool for carb spray, and if you don't have a source of compressed air, a can of duster will work.

I'd also suggest getting the official Honda service manual. The dealership may have it, or there's a phone number in the owner's manual where you can order one.

Generally speaking, once you get the sensor and heater off, you would likely want to take the top off, and being careful not to damage the diaphram take the slide and needle out the top. Then take the float bowl off and I believe there's a fuel baffel in there on these that comes out, along with the float and float valve. Remove all the jets and the pilot screw (mark it's original position and count the turns to lightly seat it before removing, so you can put it back where it was) and remove the air cutoff valve, and you should be ready to spray all the passages out in the carb body and clean all the jets and the needle and float bowl.

Don't put anything metal (like a wire) in any of the jets, as they are soft and you could enlarge the opening. Be gentle with the float assembly, and hopefully you won't alter the float level. Also be careful not to tighten the pilot screw against it's seat, as more than lightly seating it can damage it.

Again, grabbing a buddy who's done a few carbs would be a good idea, if only for confidence.

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:03 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

dang you guys are good i was looking at the service manual online but for 50 dollars damn! oh well i am going to have to order it i guess. just so cramped under the seat, looks like they built the freakin body around the carb. ok we got a fundraising at the FD this weekend so i am going to give it all next saturday, thanks for the help and keep an eye out for more messages around next friday or sat

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:05 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

oh yeah what is the "heater" for? other than the obvious?

and thinking of getting one for my wife b/c i hate riding double Can Am 800 or 680 Rincon?

Old 04-24-2008 | 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

As a quick fix, try putting a good dose of carb cleaner that you add to the gas and let it idle for a long while in the yard, (watch that it dont over heat or anything) then try taking it for a ride. You may find that it works itself out. Not a gurantee, but could be worth trying. The heater heats the carb which makes cold starting much much easier then it normally would.

The 680 Rincon is nice, fuel injected too so you wont have dirty carb troubles. The 500 Rubicon is a nice auto honda too.

Old 04-25-2008 | 12:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I believe the 650's have an electric carb heater, for better cold weather performance. I believe there is also a throttle position sensor.

So you are thinking about purchasing a 2nd quad? Compared to the 650, the 680 is much less cold blooded and has better throttle response, it is slightly more powerful, and the transmission shift program is a bit more aggressive. Like your 650 the 680's aren't power houses, but are known for long term reliability.

By comparision, the Outlander 800 will be WAY more powerful. Personally I can't stand the linked brakes on the smaller outlanders I've ridden.

Anyway, those would be quite different machines.

Old 04-25-2008 | 08:43 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok heres the deal, in 2005 i bought the rincon, my 4 other riding buddies had a polaris 425, a bayou 300, a grizzly 600, and a big bear 400, so i was king of the hill, mud and drag. now theres the rincon (mine), a 700 grizzly, a polaris 800, a brute 650, and 2 660 grizzlies, and its a dead heat between me and the 660's and the 800 in the 1/8 dirt drag, but the 700 and the brute leave me crying. i admit i am jealous and i want to end it for good, we had a 800 can am come over one day and it was really fast. 82 mph top speed by the speedometer. mine is 68. i want to rule the roost. be the top dog, so the can am is the choice i am going to further investigate. buttttttttt i love honda, till the day i die, and my luck is that just after i buy a can am honda will go v-twin and i will be stuck. so what do i do? the artic cat 1000 is out of my price range and i am scared of it being it is the first year of production, so if i can't decide on a 4x4 it will be a new raptor 700 and i will carry a tow strap for when i get stuck but i will get ther first................

Quick Reply: Rincon Spitting and Sputtering!!