Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding Double, and Drinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 11:27 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone here, drinking and riding double are what is going to get ATV's banned. I can't believe people who drink and drive, but drink and ride! I mean think about it, how fast are you going in a car when you get in a bad accident? Probably less than 50mph. How fast do you like to ride a quad? Probably faster than 50mph. So when you get in a crash on your quad, it's already more servier(sp) than a car crash. Now, take away seat belts, air bags, and impact absorbing beams. Now what have you got, virtual suicide.

Ride red, but ride safe.

Old 01-21-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I agree ATVer14, But it's not just riding double.. It's Riding stupidly when you're carrying a passenger. There are times, and areas where riding double is perfecly safe, but, most are dangerous. I can understand riding double.. going to the deer stand.. or to the favorite fishing hole, but ONLY if you are driving in a responsible manner. Like my neighbor, he was being totally wreckless, and I dediced something should be done. I also talked to his 8yr old and told him that he should ONLY ride with someone when they are driving responsibly. If we all took the time to be a little more careful.. Not only would it be a more pleasureable expereince, it would also help in keeping our sport alive. Thanks,

Old 01-21-2001, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone that
A: rides double
B: drinks before/during riding
C: rides without a helmet/proper equipment

IS
AN
IDIOT and asking for trouble. Is it really worth the risk? Hardly.

Phil

Old 01-21-2001, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding ATVs since 1983.I started out on 3 wheelers and switched to 4 wheelers in 1986.

In the PAST,friends and I have been guilty of riding from bar to bar with our ATVs.In all those yrs,only my brother John flipped his 3 wheeler from driving like an idiot after drinking.He hurt for many months after that.I turned 40 a few yrs back and realized how foolish and risky I was in taking such a chance and I stopped doing that.

I now am a STRICT advocate of NOT drinking and driving,car or quad!Its funny what age will do to a person?
Bill

Old 01-21-2001, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

I think riding double is ok as long as you ride reasponsibly Today me and my friend were riding double and I thought I would hit the jump in front of my house , so we hit it the front dug into the snow the quad flipped . He was OK but I busted a rib OUCH! as for drinking , thats bad enough but I have neighbors who take a couple hits of the bong before riding . NOW thats smart one of the idiots broke his leg and the other hit a tree and totaled his 2001 400ex ! extreme idiots !

Old 01-22-2001, 09:00 AM
Range Rover

LoneStarBanshee, i agree. There are times that are perfectly safe for riding double. I do it all the time, but it's only to get to some place close, and I stay in first gear, and I make the other rider wear a helmet and hold on to something so he cant fall off. Its just those people who think they can clear the 40ft double with someone on the back of their quad that are the stupid ones.

Old 01-22-2001, 11:07 AM
Range Rover

IMPARED? call it "DRUNK". That's exactly what it is!!!!!!!! Dont sugar-coat the crime!!!!!!!!!!!!i am glad that you have learned your lesson.

Old 01-22-2001, 11:13 AM
MNT
Pro Rider

LSbanshee,
I wouldn't let/want any of those riders on your track. You're asking for trouble.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

LSBanshee, All it takes is one person to get hurt on your land and you could be looking at a lawsuit. That is the way some people are. My fiance' rides with me on occassion, but it's at a completely different pace than solo. It's tottally different with a passenger. I've been passed by some real morons riding double. Drinking and riding/driving very stupid idea!! That's just my cent and a half worth. Ride hard, BUT SAFE.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Or a lawsuit. I would make rules if I owned a MX track. No helmets, No riding.

Now about riding and drinking. My buddies and I go riding about twice a month to the Blue Ridge Mountian national park for a week adventure. Best scienery in the world while riding! I have to admit. We take a few packs along with us. But, we save them for the camp fire. We never drink while riding. Their is nothing wrong with drinking. But, if it is endangering somebodys life. . . That is up to you.

Alcoholic beverages should be saved for the last thing of the day. Besides going to bed.

Quick Reply: Riding Double, and Drinking