Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Riding Double, and Drinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 06:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my thoughts,

Everywhere I ride....EVERYBODY DRINKS...and I do mean everybody. This is Tejas and all so I imagine that may be part of it but.....(here it comes) I will just bet it is that way everywhere else. I imagine we all want to say we are responsible and wear helmets, drink milk, love Jesus , volunteer with sick children (your own doesn't count) lol and always ride with 360 degree situational awareness...but I bet if I offered y'all a beer on the trail....you would thank me...we would enjoy our beverage....the view....talk about bikes a bit and get on our bikes and ride. I would also like to point out that I would NEVER offer anyone a beer on the creek....that 6 pack is like gold....and considering on average an 8 hour ride...really doesn't get me skunked.

The point I want to make is one of moderation. It isn't necessary to bring 2 cases of beer (w/funnel of course) and then choke down beers in-between wheelie drags on the creekbed with your hair on fire. Just wear your helmet (then at least you have to stop riding to drink), don't drink a ton, and please.....please, "Pick up yer dern beercans when ya leave ya pesky varmints!" lol I get so aggravated when I see beercans on our trails....We started a small fire on the creek last week and melted enough aluminum to start making bumpers out there.....sheesh.

As far as stupid people doing stupid things....well, we are automating gas stations all around the country and really don't need as many stupid people as we did in the past. Consider it "culling the herd" if you will. I don't think we have to worry about ATV's being outlawed in the next 4 years anyways. In the meantime...stay away from stupid people. You don't want to be around when they go off.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

MrMan

Old 01-22-2001, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

ha, yah I was wrecked. And I didnt learn a lesson. Only lesson I learned was to stay away from the cops.

Old 01-22-2001, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Hey MrMan,

I too live in Texas, and the guys that I ride with don't drink. Actually, I would have to pass on your offer on the trail. DSKurt, It's not my land, just my track. I agree on the riding double... just along as it's RESPONSIBLY!

Old 01-22-2001, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Riding Double: I say it mostly depends on the situation. We ride double when hunting. Speeds are less than 10 mph and we ride a Sportsman which is very stable for two. If we hit a trail with obstacles one of us just gets off then gets back on after... common sense!

Drinking... that's an easy one. I personally don't drink when on trail rides. It makes me slow and sleepy. It happened once(only) a couple years back. I had a few too many one night around the camp fire and took the Xplorer for a spin. I went about 200 feet, realized that I was going way to fast so I slowed down, turned around and parked her till morning... easy decision.

Havin' a brew at lunch or around the camp fire is great... but moderation is the key when you plan on riding after. (for me... moderation means one)

Brian

Old 01-23-2001, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

To MrMan and the others that want to drink and ride double. Keep doing it, keep flirting with disaster. To me it means nothing if you want to go out and put your life at risk. Win a Darwin award for us sometime.

I can tell you I don't ride with anyone that drinks, period. I will throw them back atfer I ride though. Drinking and riding is stupid in any form and there's no comparison to driving a vehicle other than the fact you're moving. In my truck I don't have to shift my weight to negotiate a corner and should I hit something, chances are I will walk away without a single scratch. Not so with an ATV.

I find it laughable as hell when someone says my (insert brand of quad here) is really stable with two people at those low speeds. Baloney.
The only time I will EVER allow someone to ride double with me is if I am towing their quad out due to a mechanical problem.

Keep toying with your lives, it doesn't matter to me.

Phil

Old 01-23-2001, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

Just this last Sunday we went out to a new place to ride. I couldnt believe my eyes, I saw so many people out there riding without helmets! I for one always wear a helmet no matter what.

We saw one young kid on a Bayou 220 flip it, he was prolly about 11 years old and riding in the sand, he must have lost controll but all I saw was the quad flip onto him and roll off. Luckily he had all his gear on and was ok.

Old 01-23-2001, 08:13 AM
Range Rover

If you simply MUST drink and drive, off road on a quad or bike is where you belong!! That way only YOU get killed.Maybe scrape a little bark off of a tree,no problem. Drive as drunk as you want,just keep off of the streets!!

Old 01-23-2001, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the riding double?If you are on FLAT land or ice,with a huge Polaris or Grizz,going slow and have perfect veiw in front of you,and driving in a very responsible manner,I see nothing wrong with it.

I ice fish,myself and buddie Dan were stopped by the DNR 2 yrs ago for riding double.I explained to him that we were only trying to get to our favorite fishing hole a few miles out.I showed him how huge my Sportsman was and he allready knew I was driving responsable,he agreed with me,the Sportsman was ok for what I was doing,and told us to continue driving carefully and catch some fish.I find it totally ridicules that I have to go out and by another ATV in order to take a friend ice fishing with me.You see the snowmobilers on the ice riding double all the time,and its legal for them.They need to re write Michigans riding double law to stipulate NO hills or driving in a manner that could endanger rider or passenger and I think that would be fine.
Bill