Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

trx300fw

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx300fw

Hey guys just looking for a little info. I've got a 94 trx300fw and on the rear end it says hypoid oil only, do you guys use this, if not what weight gear oil do you use?(for the rear end and for th t-case) also what weight engine oil and wheres the filter? I know its alot of questions but I'm a new atv owner and havent got a manual yet, but I can assure you its on the way! Thanks for your time.Oh yeah any one here from myrtle beach?

Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trx300fw

Hypoid is the type of gears you have in the front & rear gearboxes - this is a specific gear design, where the gear "teeth" curve from point A to point B, giving more surface area in a smaller "package" - vs a lot of the later stuff that has gone to a straight toothed gear.
Because of gear "meshing" qualities, the oil used in these need to be rated for Hypoid gears. We use Coastal brand (available @ Autozone) in 80W90 weight. All bottles of oil have ratings on them - not very many have we found that are actually Hypoid rated.

Your engine oil really depends on location temperature and how much time is on the engine. We normally run 10W40 here in Texas winters, and 20W50 for our Texas summers. A "fresh" engine does not really need 20W50 as there is really no need to "fill the gaps" with a thicker oil.
The oil filter is located on the right side of the engine case - looks like a round cover towards the front - pay close attention to the direction the oil filter comes out, as these filters will only work one way. Many a time have people put their oil filters in backwards and starved the engine for oil, causing sever damage to the engine.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx300fw

GREAT RESPONSE! I really appreciate it, I'd never even heard of hypoid gears. The oil filter, is it under a round black plastic cover?