Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Rincon Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Rincon Tranny Question

Looking to buy an 06 Rinny and having never owned a Honda atv, the whole "torque converter" drive is new to me and after finally riding one, I have to say initially I prefer a belt drive as it seems much smoother. The Rincon shifted like a car where you could feel all 3 gears engaging. Is this how all Rincons operate? Also this one has an ITP bigfoot kit. Would this give it a more "tippy" feeling?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, all the Rincons shift like an automotive transmission, since that's essentially what it is.

I prefer the Rincon's transmission (except for the lack of low range), but I realize that is just my personal preference.

Taller tires will make any machine feel a bit more tippy. If you are coming over from a SRA quad, the feel of IRS will take some getting used to. As far as IRS machines go, the Rincon's suspension to me seems very well balanced and well controlled. It will really fly over rough terrain. They are also known for long term reliability.

Their biggest drawback IMHO is the lack of engine braking below about 11 or 12 mph, meaning you have to use the brakes on super-steep downhills that are rough enough to require a speed lower than that.

The Rincon is different. Some people love them, and some people hate them, so make sure it is what you want before you hand over your money.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Have owned a used 03 Rincon now for 8 months. Durable as anything (brakes are of course the weakest part.. no problems so far). My wife and I personally love it.. 65mph in the dirt, smooth ride.. don't have to put it in neutral before hopping off and fearing it'll roll away on ya, like some of the others. You can pretty much abuse the heck out of them and they'll take it. I've left the stock rims and am about to upgrade to some ITP mudlite tires, so I'll see how it changes the ride. My money is with the Honda... Like the sticker says.. bring an extra belt, your friends will thank you!

Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda says they designed it to be the "SUV" of quads. Clearly their target market is the aging baby boomer who is looking for a comfy couch ride, and not the farm worker or technical trail rider.

It really isn't an all-around machine, so whether this is the right machine depends highly on who you are and where you ride!