Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher 4x4 vs. Rancher 4x4ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2001, 07:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new Rancher 4x4 with the manual shift. 2 questions-

1. Can I retrofit mine with the speedometer/hourmeter from the ES? Could I fit the same from the Foreman with the headlight?

2. Dealer had no ES in stock. Figured that the manual was better anyway-less electronics to go wrong, more like a conventional motorcycle, didn't like the "floorboard" as compared to footpegs etc.

Anyone out there have experience on both?

Old 01-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

You could wire the "S" model for a speedo. This will require some additional parts. There is a speed sensor at the back of the motor that will be needed. There might be more just not sure. Off course you will need the speedometer unit.

High lifter sells a kit that has the third head light in it. Its around $100.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have some BAAAADDD news for you. By the time you buy the speedo unit and speed sensor and then make a harness you will have much more invested than the difference in price between a s and es, and you still won't have the actual electric shift or the higher resale it will bring. My opinion, just leave it alone or trade up to an es.

Old 01-22-2001, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer

I feel your best solution is two part.

First, purchase a small, digital hourmeter. Most auto, and marine parts dealers carry them for around 20 bucks or so.

Second, buy a low cost GPS and a mount for your ATV. GPS units will not only track you on the trail, but they also display miles per hour and distance traveled. It is a easy install and I think a better solution than a retrofit ES speedo.

Old 01-24-2001, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

Trade up to the es! The floorboards on the Rancher es have integrated footpegs and they protect your feet from rocks and do an excellent job of keeping the mud of your boots. Plus when riding aggressive you can shift alot faster on the es than with the manual shift becouse you don't have to let off the throttle.

01 Rancher
01 Recon

Old 01-24-2001, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

You have any problems with your tranny.Dealer told my not to powershift my ES.

Old 01-24-2001, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man,Ijust got my service manual and it shows the meter as "optional" as well as the speed sensor. Its probably do able.

2001 FourTrax 350FE1

Old 01-24-2001, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

That brings up another question. In my manual (2001 TRX350FM), it shows the speedo/hourmeter as being on the Canadian model of the non-ES Rancher. Anyone have one? I called Honda/US and they knew nothing, but they did see it in the manual.

By the way, Honda/US says that they now have a part number for a kit to add the "Meter Combination kit" to the regular Rancher. They have not yet set a price for it, but they say that a dealer can order part # 37020-HN5-671ZA.

I'll wait until I hear how much it will cost before ordering. Until then, I'm going with the HighLifter "daylight kit" for the Rancher and an hourmeter.

I have yet to hear from anyone with experience/preferences with both the regular and ES versions of the Rancher 4x4.

Old 01-24-2001, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

OD1495, I too have a Rancher FM. I have ridden both the ES and non ES versions. I honestly like the ES version better BUT chose not to get it for reliability reasons. Riding the ES is easier and more enjoyable to me but I didn't want to chance it breaking when I am out in the middle of nowhere. I have added the ES floorboards to my FM and couldn't be happier with the finished product. It was a direct bolt-on. I'll be watching my friends with their ES Ranchers closely and I hope they don't have any shifting problems.

Old 01-24-2001, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer

No problems with the tranny so far. My dealer didn't say anything about letting off the throttle before shifting and I didn't read anything in the manual about it. ATV Action Magazine said that was one of the advantages to the ES system, but I don't want to damage my machine.

Quick Reply: Rancher 4x4 vs. Rancher 4x4ES