Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top end rebuild

I have never done a top end rebuild. I never had to do a top end rebuild. Now I have to do a top end rebuild. What do they do in a top end rebuild? What do they replace? I talked to honda and they said that it would cost $600 plus parts and tax. Dam thats alot.

If I did the rebuild my self and the help of my friends what would I need like wat parts I need for the top end rebuild?

What do I need to know when you do a top end rebuild I never did a top end rebuild.

I need parts that increase the power of the atv.

Any help or advice would be nice before I spend lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default top end rebuild

Top end is just that; everything from the base gasket up.
The only parts you know you will need for sure is top end gasket set and rings.
Other than that the only parts you need, "could be":
Barrel
Piston
Rings
Valves
Valve guides

You may need all, or some of these parts. The only way to know is take the engine apart and measure and compair them to book spec's. Some can be remachined; like the barrel and then install an oversize piston.

If you want more power, you can get it with a bigger cam and higher compression piston. You will get more power with these but they have a bad side as well. With a bigger cam yoiu will use more fuel and with a higher compression piston you will need better octane gasoline.

As far as what is needed to know. I would get a good Honda repair manual. This should show you what and how to do a top end rebuild. Good luck.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Range Rover
Default top end rebuild

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Top end is just that; everything from the base gasket up.

The only parts you know you will need for sure is top end gasket set and rings.

Other than that the only parts you need, "could be":

Barrel

Piston

Rings

Valves

Valve guides

You may need all, or some of these parts. The only way to know is take the engine apart and measure and compair them to book spec's. Some can be remachined; like the barrel and then install an oversize piston.

If you want more power, you can get it with a bigger cam and higher compression piston. You will get more power with these but they have a bad side as well. With a bigger cam yoiu will use more fuel and with a higher compression piston you will need better octane gasoline.

As far as what is needed to know. I would get a good Honda repair manual. This should show you what and how to do a top end rebuild. Good luck.</end quote></div>

Is barrel, piston, rings, valves, valve guides a part of a top end rebuild. Honda said more just than new rings and gaskets. They even said a new head too.
I need a complete top end rebuild.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default top end rebuild

Usually a barrel is kept and overbored. The only exception is if it has been overbored to the max it can be bored. Then you have to buy a new barrel.
I can not think of a reason to buy a new head and don't know why someone would say that. I take that back, on some old Honda's the cam runs in the head and can wear out the head casting.

The only way to know what is needed is to tear it down and inspect the parts. I would be suspect any shop that shotguns parts before they have the engine torn down. In other words, how do they know what is wrong without inspecting all of the parts?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top end rebuild

The pistons for the TRX350 come in 0.25 , 0.50 , 0.75 , 1.00 mm so the cylinder can be bored to 4th. oversize why would you need a new topend ..?..

Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Range Rover
Default top end rebuild

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HondaMechanic

The pistons for the TRX350 come in 0.25 , 0.50 , 0.75 , 1.00 mm so the cylinder can be bored to 4th. oversize why would you need a new topend ..?..</end quote></div>

I just called Honda and told them about my problem that im burming oil and they said that I dont need a top end rebuild. I just need new pistons and new cylinders.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top end rebuild

You could do a motor job on a TRX350 for under $200.00 ...