Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Recon Questions

Hey all. For some reason I cant find my ATV manual so I don't have the answers to a few very simple questions. I am hoping someone can quickly assist me.

* I need to change the oil in my Recon. What kind of oil do I need to put in it and there isn't an oil filter correct?

* I am going to replace the spark plug as I haven't since I have had the ATV. What kind of plug do I need and do I need to do anything special when replacing it?

* Last question... What are the dimensions of a stock battery that you would find in a Honda Recon? Would like to get a replacement.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no oil "filter". It does however have a very effective centrifugal oil cleaner that should be serviced (probably best by the dealer!) every ~200 hours.

Some good basic oil info: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html

The best oil for your Recon will be motorcycle specific, API SG/JASO MA (look for those letters on the bottle). There are a bunch of oils out there that meet those specs, but I would recommend Maxima Premium if you are working on the cheap, or better yet Maxiam Blend, or even Maxima Extra if you don't mind spending the money for a synthetic (Maxima oils have the best anti-wear additive package in the industry!)

10W40 will cover the broadest range of temperatures, and makes a good summer oil in most of North America. For cooler weather 10W30, or 5W30 for full on winter riding.

DPR8EA-9 is the NGK spark plug for warmer weather. It is easy to change, using the wrench in the tool kit.

Have you kept up on valve adjustments???

Old 06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

ReconRanger,

Thanks for all the info! I will stop at the Honda shop and they should have one of them oils as well as the spark plug. As far as the valve adjustments and centrifugal thing... I have personally not touched either of them. I got the ATV about a year ago and have ridden it here and there but not too much. Not sure what the guy did who had it before me.

I am trying to get it ready for this weekend. We are heading down to Hatfield McCoy so I want to make sure everything is good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Do you by chance know the battery size? Another thing I forgot to ask is how much oil does it hold?

Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holds 1.7 qts of oil.

I quickly looked through the manual for my 250EX (same engine), but couldn't spot a battery part number. At least, you can use the pull starter if you are having battery issues....

Get a valve adjustment as soon as you can!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.... I called them and found out about the battery. It is a YTX12-BS. As far as the valve adjustment. Whats so important about that and what does it usually cost? How often do you do it?

One other question I have is... when I lift my seat up. There is a white tube type deal that I believe runs into the air box... well it is out of the hole. I am not sure how long it has been like that but what would that effect?

Thanks again!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

That is your factory snorkel. I would definitely put it back in place before going to the HM trails.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can someone tell me where the oil plug is on a 2003 rincon 650? Thanks