Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

500 Foreman Electric Shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Foreman Electric Shift

I purchased a 500 Foreman w/ Electric Shift and after a long discussion with sales regarding the reliability of the Electric Shift model . . guess what? Will not shift!! Go figure. I get the (--) symbol flashing on and off with the N or 1 whichever gear it is currently in and then it wont shift. I can turn off the ignition and it seems to reset the system and will shift again but after riding for a few minutes itgoes through the same sympton again. Any ideas? I just did the first oil change on it myself so it only has fifteen or so hours on it. Also, anyone with the same problem just opt to have the manual shifter installed and forget about it?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer
Full Time DAD!

How many times does it flash in sequence? The number of flashes indicate the trouble code and you need to know how many times it flashes in order to find out what the machine says is wrong.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

HAAA!!!!! I was reading through other forums on this page with samilliar problems and figured that. I will check it out and holler back. Did you read through the one guys two page "How I fiexed my electric shift problem? Heck . . I'd burn that thing to the groung before I went through all that. DO you know of anyone who just went ahead and had the manual shifter installed permanently? If so did Gear Position still show on the display etc?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just rode it around for thirty minutes and could not duplicate. Go figure. Earlier today I washed it and cleaned it up and as soon as I crunk it up I got the double flashing bars. Last time I rode it I had to rolled it off the trailer because I couldnt figure what was up(that was the first time I realized there was a problem). I guess next time I ride it I'll count the bars.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

How bout this one. It isnt the (--) that flashes. Its the (N) or 1, 2, 3 .. whichever gear it is currently in. The gear selection flashes twice and then a pause and then twice more and keeps going indefinately until you turn it off. Then when you turn itback on its like you reset it and you can shift again but it never lasts long. Today I rode thirty minutes or so but the first time I noticed the problem I could only ride to the end of the dirt road before it tripped up again and began flashing the gear position freezing up the Electric Shift. Any ideas?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code #2 is shift switches up/down .. I would check the wire coupler for dirt/moisture ..

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Lifesaver man. I was just looking through the Owners Manual to see what that error code is. Now . . . where is the coupler at? Sorry to sound like such an idiot but this is my first fourwheeler and although I have wrenched on a few hotrods I have no idea which end is up on this deal.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think it's the 10 pin green connector under the front fender. Also check the plug on the ECM.

Is the thing under warranty? If so, you might bring it to the dealer and make them mess with it.

If not, I think I'd have some contact cleaner, diaelectric grease, and an air compressor on hand- And clean and grease all the connectors you can find while you have the front fender off (disconnect the battery first), including the plugs on the ECM.

Lastly, if you are going to keep the machine long term, a factory service manual would be a good investment.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man this deal right here is the $*%&^* bomb. Where else ya gonna find some jokers who know what theyre talkin bout. The rednecks I hang with would have me pulling the dang tranny out in the front yard or something. HAA!! Thanks to all for the good advice. I pull the fender off and start cleaning tomorrow.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the ESP components ..And the location of the handle bar wire coupler ..

================================================== ========================================

================================================== ========================================

Quick Reply: 500 Foreman Electric Shift