Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What atv is best for me??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What atv is best for me??

I like the Brute Force and the newer king quads... I think i may try a new brand of atv and if i don't like it i'll trade it in for something different

Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The brute would probably make a good mudder.

If you were looking at something to be less of a dedicated mud/deep water machine, that would still be a good handling trail machine, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Rincon, maybe with some XTR radial mud lites.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

i don't really like the xtrs... maybe some outlaws with the reduction kit...

Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That would work. If you stuck to 26 or 27" you might find that you don't need the reduction kit, plus if you didn't go with a huge lift the quad would still be reasonably usefull for general purpose and trails, as opposed to a dedicated mud bogger...

Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Most all CVT ATVs have a low range ,so I doubt a reduction kit would be needed. A ATV with in low range will snap the axles or cv joints right off before the engine could not turn any tires in any situation.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I assumed he was talking about the Rincon, which doesn't have a low range, so the reduction kit might be worth doing if you are going with aggressive tires over 28" in super sticky mud...

Stock CVT's in my mind do an amazingly good job in keeping the engine RPM in it's stock power band. I've known people to add power to the engine (filter, pipe, cam, high comp piston) who found it then didn't sling mud as well as it did stock.

I think the issue was the modified engine made more power, but at at significantly higher RPM. A different helix and spring can really help.

As with anything, when you put more load on a component than it was designed to handle (big tires+sharper angle from lift) backed up by more power, something's going to give. There comes a point where a Gorilla Axle kit starts to make sense.