Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Questions About the Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions About the Rincon

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying an 08 Rincion and maybe you can answer a couple questions for me. Can anyone tell me what the fuel milage or range is? Also, can anyone tell me what the max. cruising speed is?
Also any observations or opinions about the Rincon are welcome!
THANKS!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Chinodavis welcome to the forum! You are going to find a bunch of diff opinions on this quad I will leave those to the others but the one thing I will tell you The Rincon would NOT be my first choice in a big bore ute! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Chinodavis welcome to the forum! You are going to find a bunch of diff opinions on this quad I will leave those to the others but the one thing I will tell you The Rincon would NOT be my first choice in a big bore ute! [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Can you tell me what you don't like about it? I'd like all the info I can get before purchasing!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Trust me I am not here to bash Honda I believe they make some good long lasting machines, but with that said ans since you asked I will tell you I do not like 3.5 wheel drive 4x4 system 2nd for a 675cc machine it has to be one of the most gutless motors avil in it class of atv 3rd no EFI allmost everyone w/ this size and class of atv has it now 4th would be smiles per doller I can garantee you can find a mutch better machine for the $ spent (AKA Grizz 700 , Polaris Sportsman 800) than on a Rincon.I think I would rather have the Rancher 420 than the Rincon as I feel it is just a mutch better value! As I said this is just my opinion and to each man his own!!!! Good luck with whatever you choose!

**update** Honda did finaly add EFI that could make a little diff in engine HP output but non the less the chassis is still the same!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I rather like my Rincon. They are EFI. Honda's limited slip front end works well 99% of the time, but I do wish it had a locker for that other 1%.

It's IRS suspensioin is really well tuned and dampened right, and it handles and rides very well without being overly tippy.

I've pushed close to 100 miles on a tank, but that's in ideal situations. I think the thing tops out at 63ish, but where I ride trail conditions often have you under 12mph (I enjoy the steep and technical stuff).

The Rincon excels in all day long fast riding over rough rocky terrain. It really glides over rough stuff, to the point where you don't realize how bad the trail is or how fast you are going over it until you ride the same trail on another machine. It also has a reputation for reliability and excellent long term durability.

It's biggest weakness IMHO is in engine braking/compression hold back. It is a 3 speed torque converter transmission and 1st is pretty high. You begin to get a hint of compression braking around 6 mph, but on a steep downhill you would be doing about 12 mph with just engine braking where a machine like the Foreman or Rubicon could hold 2 mph without using the brakes. It isn't a big deal, and I can get the Rincon down anything I can get the Foreman down, but it would be nice if you didn't have to use the brakes all the time.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

I rather like my Rincon. They are EFI. Honda's limited slip front end works well 99% of the time, but I do wish it had a locker for that other 1%.

It's IRS suspensioin is really well tuned and dampened right, and it handles and rides very well without being overly tippy.

I've pushed close to 100 miles on a tank, but that's in ideal situations. I think the thing tops out at 63ish, but where I ride trail conditions often have you under 12mph (I enjoy the steep and technical stuff).

The Rincon excels in all day long fast riding over rough rocky terrain. It really glides over rough stuff, to the point where you don't realize how bad the trail is or how fast you are going over it until you ride the same trail on another machine. It also has a reputation for reliability and excellent long term durability.

It's biggest weakness IMHO is in engine braking/compression hold back. It is a 3 speed torque converter transmission and 1st is pretty high. You begin to get a hint of compression braking around 6 mph, but on a steep downhill you would be doing about 12 mph with just engine braking where a machine like the Foreman or Rubicon could hold 2 mph without using the brakes. It isn't a big deal, and I can get the Rincon down anything I can get the Foreman down, but it would be nice if you didn't have to use the brakes all the time.</end quote></div>

Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Chinodavis

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

It's biggest weakness IMHO is in engine braking/compression hold back. It is a 3 speed torque converter transmission and 1st is pretty high. You begin to get a hint of compression braking around 6 mph, but on a steep downhill you would be doing about 12 mph with just engine braking where a machine like the Foreman or Rubicon could hold 2 mph without using the brakes. It isn't a big deal, and I can get the Rincon down anything I can get the Foreman down, but it would be nice if you didn't have to use the brakes all the time.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

Wow! Thanks for all the info! Info is what I'm after!
I have an 05 Foreman now, and it is incredible on the Arizona ATV trails I run. It will take me effortlessly on any trail I want. Will the Rincon match the Foreman on the trail? I do a lot of steep, slow speed climbing. You said the Rincon's first gear is kind of high. I like the Foreman's old fashioned five speed transmission. I know the Rincon has an automatic tranny. Can the Rincon climb like the Foreman? This is where I've had quads with the belt drive transmissions fail me. Prolonged slow, steep, hot weather climbing. Belt drives don't like that. I'm not understanding how the Rincon can go 63 MPH with only 3 gears when the Foreman's top speed is about 40 with 5 gears.
Also, does the Rincon have differential braking (seperate front and rear braking controls)? Some quads have only one brake lever.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rincon works like a 3 speed car. you do not have a granny gear like the foreman. but the ones that i have seen have all the power you need, i would not compare it to the polaris wich in my opinion is a heavy turd, but the yamaha does have the best locking feature around. i don't think you will be disappointed. yes the rincon has rear and front brakes that operate differently. i agree with you i do not like belt machines either. i test rode a 07 and the thing had a lot of pull and very long legged. if at all possible test ride one.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think the Rincon relies on the torque converter to do low speeds up steep hills, plus the motor seems to have pretty good low end. Anyway, in steep loose climbs it is a bit easier to maintain speed and not bog down and dig in, as compared to the Foreman. Basically, it will climb until it either runs out of traction or tries to flip over backwards. Power isn't the limiting factor.

650's have hyd drums in front and a single disk on the rear drive shaft. The 680 has two disks up front and a single disk in the rear.

The braking systems are seperate, like on the Foreman- Right lever front brakes, and right foot rear brakes with the left lever also providing rear brakes with a parking brake.

The Rincon can run in full auto, or you can put it in a manual shift mode that lets you control when it shifts by using up and down buttons to select between the 3 gears.

There are also gear reduction kits from a couple different makes. I think generally they are not needed unless you go with super agressive tires bigger than 27" in gumbo type mud.

Since you have a Foreman, as do I, I could give some additional comparison.

You will find the Rincon rides much better, and I would always take it over the Foreman on an all day ride in rough conditions. The Foreman, however, is easier to slide the rear end around, so if there are fast sweepers and the trail is either not too rough, or I'm not going to be gone for hours, the Foreman is a kick.

The Rincon will also have a bit more body lean on fast corners or off camber trails, which is generally a trade off with IRS's smooter ride and ground clearance vs SRA's flatter cornering and more plated feel. The difference isn't huge, but I feel that I need to lean my body just a bit more on the Rincon- but then I generally find myself going faster when I'm on the Rincon. The Rincon has an anti-sway bar, which seems to strike a good balance between not defeating the purpose of IRS, and minimizing body lean.

You would also notice the difference in ground clearance. In the rough rocky trails, there seem to be a lot of rocks in the size range that will smack the back axle of the Foreman, but the Rincon's IRS will glide over.

In mud, also, where I ride there are often two deep ruts with a ridge of more solid material in the middle. There are mud holes out there like that which will hang up my Foreman on the back axle, that the Rincon will go through with no problems.

Other than that, I've already mentioned the need to use the brakes on the Rincon in downhill runs where you could tractor down on the Foreman. I tend to descend a bit faster on the Rincon, anyway, as you can more easily speed up on the smoother but still steep parts, where the Foreman can be tough to shift out of low when it's tractoring down a steep face.

Be sure to get a good test ride on one before you make any decisions. Some folks don't care for the Rincon, and some people love them.

I'm kind of inbetween, in that I like the fit and finish, the suspension, damping and ride, but I'd like to smack whoever at Honda decided it didn't need a low range or locker...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

I read that the '08 Rincon has Traxlox 4WD, which will lock up the front diff at speeds under 6 mph when the ECM senses different speeds between the two front wheels.

So it seems that it has an automatic locking front diff under certain conditions, too bad the speed was set so low for it.

Quick Reply: Questions About the Rincon