Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Superwinch operation question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the question…… Does it matter what way (direction of pull) you run a T-1500 Superwinch? Example: I can't mount the winch with the motor housing facing the left front tire and have it centered….(tire clearance is not good) I would rather have the wire drum a bit to the left side. If I rotate the winch 180 degrees the cable now comes off the drum from the TOP.. If I unspool the wire, re-wind it in the opposite direction and move the wire tension plate to the opposite side everything is just like I want it, and doing this (winding the wire backwards) allows the wire to come off of the BOTTOM of the drum (recommended). Only difference here is that now the motor is running backwards (drum rotation)……. Will the winch work the same with out damage running it this way with the motor now being run in reverse with the load? Will the brake action be effected? Nove

Old 01-24-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nove, the tension plate's location and function is critical--While I think you can do what you propose without screwing anything up, I strongly suggest you call Jack Jolly, Superwinch Customer Service Czar, at (860) 928-7787, for confirmation.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-24-2001, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tree Farmer,
Thanks for the tip.
I called Superwinch and told them what I was planning to do and they said, "DON'T DO IT!"
They told me that if I must rotate the winch 180 degrees it's better to run the winch with the cable over the top of the drum rather than re-winding it in the other direction and using the motor backwards. They claim the motor is set up to be more efficient when run this way.
I decided that I wanted the cable to run from the bottom (the way it is designed to be run), so this evening I modified my mounting plate so I could use the winch the CORRECT way.
It's working great now and I don't have to worry about any damage being done.
Thanks again for you fast response to my question.
Nove