Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

flipping the rims on my trx450r?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flipping the rims on my trx450r?

I have an 05 trx450r and i want to flip the rims. Make it a little wider you know? But i was wodering if i still have the stock rims if i flip it will them stem hit caliper? Has anyone done this with the stock rims and did it work or did u have to drill it out or get a smaller stem? thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer

I've never done this, but the idea doesn't seem right. If you were to flip the rims, it would become more narrow. The inset of the rim is deeper if you just leave it stock. If you want to make it wider you would have to get new wheels and tires.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got myself some ITP Baja rims that have a greater offset than stock....no messing around required.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 AM
The Facility

To flip the front wheels for greater width, you will need four NEW valve stems and a drill. You drill new holes for the what will become the outside of the wheel once flipped. On the other side, you have a couple options. One, you can have the factory stem hole welded up. Two,...you can use a bolt and two rubber washers to plug it off. Or three,..you can place a valve stem into the wheel from the INSIDE. (This is why you will need 4 stems if you want to go the simple route) Placing the stem backwards in the hole will give you the clearance needed to clear the caliper but it's still very close. The tire bead must be broken to do this ofcourse. Some minor buffing down of the stem base may be needed but not too much.

This setup does work, and is no different than running an aftermarket brand set of offset wheels, but still has the same drawbacks as adding wheel spacers...

[1] You put a greater load on the wheel bearings because you have moved the center line of the wheel further outside of the spindle center,.... creating increased leverage.

[2] You alter the front suspension performancs because the outside running weight of the quad is now further away from the bottom shock mount. A problem you dont run into when adding extended A-arms. Most brands anyway.

[3] Your steering will be drastically heavier due the same principle in [1]. Some say that they notice no difference. All I can say is that those people need to ride two machines back to back. It is very noticable on any machine and makes a big difference in your endurance on long rides in the rough stuff.

[4] Bumpsteer becomes a common word in your vocabulary. Because you now have the outside width of the tire further away from the ball joint. Works off the same principle as when you moved the centerline of the wheel on the spindle. The leverage rate is drastically altered. The steering will also be noticably slower reacting. Which can sometimes be an advantage depending on the terrain you most often ride in.

[5] Easier bent tierods when you bump an obstacle. Also goes back to [1].

Old 06-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

That sounds kind of complicated for me. Do you think when i take me quad up to a place to get my hot cam installed they would do this? if so for how much? thanks