Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New Foreman FM or Rancher FM

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Foreman FM or Rancher FM

To start this thread let me just say I've decided I definately want whichever 4-wheeler to have 4WD and manual transmission with auto clutch (FM model). All I've had (and still have three) is Honda manuals. They aren't just proven in my mind but I've done all the proving personally. Never had even a hint of a problem out of any of them.

Now for the questions, How much more power will a new 420cc Rancher have over my 350cc Rancher? How much more power will a Foreman 500cc have over the Rancher 420cc. Unless a new 500 Foreman really will outshine a new 420cc Rancher I really like the idea of EFI. Just imagine...no choking in cold weather and warm-ups where you must be present. Just hit the starter and let it warm up by itself and when it goes back to slow idle your ready to go. Sounds pretty good. Especially when I do all my winter-time cattle feeding off a small trailer that sits in the barn by sacks of feed. Just fill up the trailer while the 4-wheeler warms-up.

One more question that nobody can really answer for sure. I'd just like to get your gut feeling on this one. Do you think there are plans from Honda for an EFI'ed Foreman in the near future??? I bet there is.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 420 Rancher is way snappier than the 350 Rancher. They are like totally different machines. The 420 also has a more nimble and snappier feel than the Foreman 500. The Foreman, though, I think has a more torquey feel in the low end, and feels larger physically than the Ranchers.

How carb equipped Hondas start seems to vary. My Foreman will fire right up well below freezing and idle fine, just leave the choke part way on for a minute or so. A buddy's carbed 650 is a little more finiky, though.

Anyway, how much hay in a trailer are you planning on dragging around? If it's really heavy, you might want the Foreman. If not, it sounds like you want the Rancher.

Sooner or later I think we will see an EFI 500 Foreman, to meet emissions if nothing else. It was just redesigned a few years ago, so I'd imagine it will be a few years before we see major changes.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a new Rancher 420 and the older 350. The 420 is improved in every way! Better power (snappy right off the bottom), EFI, water cooled, better suspension, etc. I personally wish the 420 was lighter, and a lot of folks complain about the ground clearance under the rear end, but is for sure has never held me back!

As for the Foreman, it is Honda's work horse. I would suggest the Foreman if you do 90% work and 10% trail riding. I would suggest the Rancher if you do 90% trail riding and 10% work. One of the magazines was evaluating the Foreman, and they had a Rancher along at the same time, and they said the Rancher was more "fun"! I don't know about you, but I always prefer to have fun whenever possible!

In any case, avoid the ES shifter models if possible.