Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Now which used honda

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now which used honda

NOW TO UPDATE...

I was really wanting the 400EX for the extra performance, looks and room. The seller sent me several high-res pictures of it and I wasn't afraid of it at all. I just needed to see that it was tight and ran well was all.

But he and I got into playing some phone tag trying to schedule a test ride, and then he went on vacation, etc... and has not returned my last call/voicemail.

I don't know if he has given me too much time to ride and think or if I have just gotten sort of fed up. But I think I have decided against the 400EX. I tell myself this is because I use reverse a lot these days and wouldn't want to be without it. I think that's an honest thought from me... as I have been looking at the other 400's this week (LTZ/DVX/KFX).

I don't know if the 300EX is sold yet or not... I'll find out on saturday I think...

Old 07-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

FYI, reverse on the 400EX isn't necessary....the dry weight is 397 lbs....plenty easy to maneuver by hand. Trust me, I have had no problems without having reverse.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

To update....

I looked at some LTZ/KFX/DVX 400's and like them.

I found out the 300EX was still available, but for some reason unknown to me still, I didn't run for it.

I found another 400EX and ended up buying it.

So far, I'm under-impressed with it, or maybe a bit spoiled...
But either way, I'm throwing money at the problem, so I hope this was the right ATV choice for me.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told you , you have a polaris 400

Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

I told you , you have a polaris 400</end quote></div>

Yeah you did... and I knew it... but it goes a little farther than that I think.

I knew it wasn't going to accellerate the same, and I knew it wasn't going to be as rippy or as fast. I've always said the 400EX was over-rated too. I just didn't realize quite how bad. I said that stepping off a 4 stroke and onto one.... but stepping off a 2 stroke onto one makes it really stand out.

I went with the 400EX over the 300EX thinking about it being more roomy and more powerful. Honestly though, mine is not all that much better in either department. But it is better looking right from the start and more accepted.... everybody makes everything for it... POPULAR.

Anyways, I didn't buy it for a lot of speed and power. I bought it for everything it is that the Sport 400 is not.... 4 stroke, manual trans, great handling, etc...

I wanted something with a manual plus torque to lug around the tight woods instead of worrying about burning belts, and to take through places (without worry) that I wouldn't want to take my Sport, and for track running, and for the additional challenge of the manual trans.

Now I'm starting to think some of this is over-rated to a degree, because in just a few weeks the Sport 400 has spoiled me some I think. With that in mind, I decided to start throwing money at the problem, hoping to be more satisfied. I've done and had a lot done in a short time...

I even had the intake and exhaust done. Inhaling through a K&N, exhaling through a full Yoshi exhaust. Yet I'm still not feeling what I was hoping for. I'm not so sure my buddy's old 300EX w/Procircuit T4 slip-on doesn't feel as good or better.

Airbox mods and gearing are about all I have left to go to without going into the engine. I guess I'll mess with gearing next to see if I can dial it in better. I bought it with 14/38 and haven't touched a thing there yet. Not sure if I'm going 13/38 or 15/38... or messing with both....

Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: steffen400ex

i have both of them a 2000 300ex and a 2001 400ex, they are both very good quads we have never had any problems out of them. We bought the 300 new and only have put rear brakes, spark plug, and changed the oil. I bought the 400ex about 3 months ago. I love it, the only thing is no reverse. I think that the 300 is a little easier to get throught the trails from its size, and it has plenty of power. I think that the 400 are geared a little high in low gear, but i change the sprockets and it help. But all in all they are both very good dependable quads, you will no go wrong with either of them.</end quote></div>

Hey man, I'm at 14/38 which is OK at take-off in low gear. But to me, I run through first and second so quick, but then it doesn't have much ***** in third. I shift a LOT MORE (understatement) than I hoped to. Second is too short and third is too tall.

I don't know rather to step on down to a 13t to get more out of third, or up to a 15t to get more out of second. I'm leaning towards 13t or possibly working with the rear teeth.

Where are you at on your gearing?

Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

if you shorten your gears (13
you are going to run thru your gears faster and be shifting even more

you go up a tooth, 1st and 2nd become more usefull

Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

i know but mine also has 22in tall tires on it, but i put a pipe and jetted it last week and now i run really good.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

I just went up to 14 on the front of my 300ex.. best 20$ i ever spent on a quad.

1st and 2nd are proper now, i dont have a useless utility like 1st gear, i can still claw my way up any hill nice and slow or rip thru it in 2nd or 3rd
my 5th feels like the 6th i Had been missing now, and i only get into it when i cam going for top speed or crusing, just the way i like it

Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Now which used honda"></title><script src=

I guess I might have to try both somehow...

Get a 13t and a 15t.

Hopefully one will give me what I am looking for.
If not I'll have to start tweaking on the rear to dial in.

After talking to some folks they seem to say I'm pulling too low of a gear for the mods I have... Myself, I'm thinking 15t will put me in second more with more range... or 13t will lower third for me and make it more useful.

I gotta find that gear ratio chart for the 400EX again and study it some.

Quick Reply: Now which used honda