Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda ES opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda ES opinions

The grips are on the grips page on the protaper site, under the picture that comes up is a "next' button, mine are on the 2nd page that comes up. They are the black grips that are diamond pattern on one 1/2 and waffle on the other. You can get full waffle and full diamond pattern too.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SS420

Hold the front brake and you can start it in gear......</end quote></div>

My owners manual and my 420 Rancher dont agree with this statement.

Just tried it, I wish it were true, but it will not start in gear no matter what you do with the brakes.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

Intresting...

I haven't check the manual but I did it this morining in 1st gear and 3rd. Just pull in the front break a bit (you can hear it click), push the button and it starts. Of course the ignition still has to be on.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

a

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Slaxxor

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: SS420

Hold the front brake and you can start it in gear......</end quote></div>

My owners manual and my 420 Rancher dont agree with this statement.

Just tried it, I wish it were true, but it will not start in gear no matter what you do with the brakes.</end quote></div>

holding the front brake to start in gear only works for ES models...... Don't know what you have, but it works on mine and states it in the manual. Assume you have an ES since this is what this whole post is about........... I'm one of the nerds that reads the manuel on everything because I want to not only know what it does, but how it does it. If you flood out (not likely with FI) you can also hold your throttle full open and crank the engine. The fuel system shuts down and allows the engine to just pump air and I think spark through it to get rid of the excess fuel.........Speaking about a 2007 Rancher ES 4X4

Edited: 07/01/2008 at 02:56 PM by SS420

Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn...

Went out and tried it this morning and for some reason I pulled the back brake not the front (nothing like coming home from a 12 hour night shift - brain doesnt fully engage at 0800 LOL). Tried it again this morning and you are correct, if you pull the front brake it will start in gear.

The owners manual says it must be in neutral, both in the How to Start (pg 60) and the Troubleshooting (page 124?). The dealer did not know about the front brake, and all the forums I have read before this just mentioned the "rock it" trick.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

So now, my only complaint with the ES system (so far at least) is Honda's crappy documentation.

LOL

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: action450s

The grips are on the grips page on the protaper site, under the picture that comes up is a "next' button, mine are on the 2nd page that comes up. They are the black grips that are diamond pattern on one 1/2 and waffle on the other. You can get full waffle and full diamond pattern too.</end quote></div>

Quit looking, I found them!!!

I guess if I click on the "grips" icon, I would see grips [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

On some days, I don't chew gum and ride!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My 450 Foreman was a ES model,I like it when doing long rugged water crossing because you could keep your feet out of the water yet change gears if need be.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer did not know about the front brake, and all the forums I have read before this just mentioned the "rock it" trick.

The dealer definately knows about this, it is just a safety feature that they don't want to tell you you can override!! But it is a sweet feature, works on all brands of quads...as far as i know! I have 3500 miles on my 400 Rancher AT, had her sunk and through deep deep water a lot!!!! No problems with the ES, even with pressure washing!

Quick Reply: Honda ES opinions