Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

08 Rubicon Carb adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Rubicon Carb adjustment

I have an 08 Rubicon that runs well but when I start it up (even after it is warmed up) it will die, unless I have the choke pulled just a little bit. No matter how much I run it and turn it off for just a minute or two and then try to restart it. I only have 20 miles on it.
This is my first ATV and going from car working days, seems like I may need to adjust the carb. I have read about the pilot screw and that I need to have idle adjusted to 1400 before starting to mess with the pilot screw.
Can some one tell me how to hook up a tach so I can read the RPM's and is the pilot screw just to the right of the idle adjustment ****? Also can I use a long flat blade screw driver or do I need one of the "Pilot Screw tools" that I have heard about.

Thanks in advance.
RG

Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Rubicon Carb adjustment

The Rubicon has a 'D' shaped head on the pilot adjustment screw.
There are a few smaller items that could cause the unit to act as it is, fuel air mixture is one.
Most Ribicons spec idle can be found by turning up the idle with the idle **** and paying attention to the rpm gain as the **** is turned. With the idle low, turn the idle **** up with the **** and listen to the rpm gain per turn. At one point the unit will suddenly gain more rpm than on previous turns. Turn the idle back to just under this point. On my rpm meter, this idle speed gain should happen right around 1360 rpms. Well within spec for the quad.

edit:
tell you a little story
A co worker walked up to me one day abd asked how I knew the idle was right on a ribicon I was servicing. I was not useing an rpm meter. I told him the idle was at 1364 rpms. He told me I was full of it and made me hook up the digital tach. Went over grabbed the meter, connected it and the idle was spot on at 1364.
Lucky guess ?? hehehe

----- Gimp -----