Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which to buy??? 250r or 400ex???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok people here is my dilema(sp?). I have found killer deals on a '89 250r...piped ,shocks,ram valve,and some cosmetic mods..and a '99 416ex with a pipe and some other cosmetic stuff. I can get them for the same price buit the question is which one should i go for? I am going to race MX and CC this coming up year and instead of spending close to anoth $1000 on my 300ex i thought it would be better to just get one made for it. So can any of you help me make up my mind? Pro's and Con's on both...better jumper...better in woods...maintenance needed....what usually goes bad on both quads first(so i know what to look/listen for). And please will only the people who own or have owned BOTH of these quads reply. I dont want all you guys saying "Get a 400ex, THEY RULE" or "250r's are the only way to go" . They both have their flaws and i guess this is mainly what i am looking for. so lets hear it

Old 01-30-2001, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

The 250R. Definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
250R's motor is cheaper to rebuild when it comes to that time.

Old 01-30-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the R will be the better jumper and it will be faster!

the EX will last longer, be more dependable, and more rider friendly for when you're not racing

that's a tough one... in the long run, you'll end up spending a lot more money on the R

Old 01-30-2001, 12:33 PM
87r
Range Rover

If you are gonna race, get the 250R. If the R is in decent shape, it will NOT cost you more in the long run than an EX (in my opinion).

My R rips and it has had one piston and rings rebuild in 14 years and is on the original bore. The rebuild is super simple to do and costs nothing compared to rebuilding a fourstroke. I can do a topend rebuild in about an hour or so.

Be cautious, though -- most 250R's are semi-roached out due to their age. Make sure the one you are buying is in decent condition and you should be fine. I would especially be leary of one that has been raced.

Also, don't get me wrong, I love 400EX's - they are awesome bikes. If you had to settle for an EX you would still be competitive. The R is just faster, lighter, and handles better in my opinion.

Old 01-30-2001, 12:33 PM
87r
Range Rover

dang double posting novice!!!!!

Old 01-30-2001, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

If it were me I would take the ex I already own a 300ex and it has worked perfect. THe R is a legendary machine BUT The ex will last longer less mantinence and is fast. I saw a 400ex stock beat a stock raptor in a short drag race. How much are they if the R is any more than 3000 it isn't a deal. People want too much for them. THe book on em is only 2199$
HONDA THUMPERS RULE!!!

Old 01-30-2001, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

IF the R is in good shape, the owner takes care of it...etc, it will be definitely faster than an ex. 2 stroke rebuilding isn't as often as people seem to think and when the time comes to change piston/rings, it can be done with a minimum of mechanic experience. One thing that seems to be very important to me. You're gonna race, and like all racers, sometimes adrenaline takes over and you end pushing the gears up to max revv (and even a little more)...at least I do. A 2 stroke will "accept" overrevv whereas with a 4 stroke...you might end very quickly with a valve stuck in the piston (ouch!).
I'd say that 2 stroke engine are race engineered. Very little number of moving parts, very easy to figure out what's wrong (sometimes it gets complicated though), a top end can be changed between 2 heats...you're gonna race? Get the R.
One detail, if you're not really "strong" then you might find the ex easier to ride (power delivery is waaaaay smoother than any 2 stroke).

Old 01-30-2001, 05:47 PM
Range Rover

well the cost of each are $2500 for the r and $3500 for the ex...The ex has been raced and the r has not. The 250 motor is pretty much stock except a pipe and ramvalve and mostly chromed chassis components. That is the thing i am worried about the 250r...it is 11 years old! It looks in VERY good condition and it is the original owner. By the way what are the weight differences? And about the strength issue i think i can pretty much handle it. Used to hang on for dear life to a 420cc banshee . Keep the posts coming...still undecided

Old 01-31-2001, 01:06 PM
Range Rover

One factor to consider with this decision is what type of powerband you like. Since you mentioned you are used to a Banshee then the 250R will probably suit you better. A 250R is definately faster but one thing man people forget is that not all riders are faster on a 250R. I have seen several people switch from a 400EX to a 250R and many struggle for a while on the track. This is because they have more trouble keeping the 2 stroke in the power band and are not used to the extra shifting and lack of compression braking. I have owned a 250R 2 stroke and am definately faster on my R chassis with a built 4-stroke motor.

Old 01-31-2001, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

I know the 2-stroke power bands are VERY narrow. But if i got the R i was going to do engine mods to it to make it have the widest band as possible. I have rode one 250r set up for CC that no lie felt like i was riding a 4-stoke because the power band was so wide. I believe i am going to go with the R b/c i will have $1200 left after selling my 300 to use on mods and with the 400ex i will only have 200 left. Thanks for all the replys!

Quick Reply: Which to buy??? 250r or 400ex???