Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What should I pay for this used trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 10:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a call about a used trailer a neighbor wants to sell to me for hauling my atv around. I have not owned the atv very long and have not shopped trailers so I dont' know the prices. Since I have little time to make a decision before he puts it in the paper, I thought I would seek your opinion. I realize this is hard when you can't see it but an ballpark might help.

The trailer is a good 15 years old and is in average to slightly below avg condition, at least in appearance. The tires are 12 inch and pretty wide (not the common skinny ones). The axle is a torsion, not spring, so the trailer sits low to the ground making loading easy. I don't know the exact dimensions but it is about 8 feet wide and 6 long. This allows you to put two atv's side by side or only one length wise. The flooring is wood 1x6's in avg shape but sturdy. The bearings seem to be in good shape and are not running hot. It also has a metal ramp/gate that folds up and down for loading. There are no side rails, just a basic flat trailer. Functionally, it will work well. Its appearance is below avg.

Any idea what it is worth? A new trailer is not an option b/c I am sure they are expensive so my choice would be to look around for another used one that might be nicer for the same or less money. However, i think this might be a decent buy at $175.

Old 01-31-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

My first trailer was just like that and I payed $275 for it. Just be careful if you try to load 2 quads side by side on it cause you won't have much room. Just make sure you have good safety straps if you don't have side rails. I had one slide off my trailer that was like that. When you say the axle is torsion with no springs do you mean it doesn't have leaf springs? I would think no leaf springs would be a rough ride.

Old 02-01-2001, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get one with a drop down rear gate for $450.They are really nice and sturdy.