Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

185s bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 185s bogging down

I have a 1983 185s that has a problem. It idles perfectly. It starts perfectly. It bogs down (to the point of dying) if I give it some throttle it will bog. If I ease into the throttle it will rev up but if I put it under a load (with me on it) it will not take the throttle input and bogs down. When I let off the throttle, it purrs perfectly.

I've cleaned the carb 100 times. It is spotless. I put in a new carb rebuild kit complete with everything that goes into a carb.

I thought it was running lean so I adjusted the fuel mixture screw. No difference. I adjusted it from all the way in to 4 turns out. Nothing.

Please help.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

While cleaning the carb, did u use a SMALL piece of wire to clean the ports in the carb walls. Sometimes air pressure and carb cleaner just won't get it. Also, the pilot and main jet inputs(where they screw in)

Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Hey i would say your main jet, which is the larger of the 2 inside the bowl, is too rich, in this effect it is like the engine is choked. A way to test this is take off your airbox lid see if it helps, if that doesnt take off the whole air filter, dont run it like this very much but see if it helps, after that we can have a better idea of what is wrong.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked/cleaned the petcock and ckecked for 'kinks' in the fuel line. Nothing. I have taken a small wire and gone through every hole in the carb for blockage/trash. Nothing.

Question 1: I installed a fuel filter between the petcock and the carb. I can blow through the filter just fine but I am wondering if that could cause a 'flow' problem even though I can blow through it?

Question 2: I recently took off the stock exhaust muffler/system and just used the original header with a straight pipe and a small silencer on the end. I have always used a K&N air filter with holes cut out in the airbox for better breathing but I just recently added the exhaust system.

Question 3: I checked the intake boot for cracks/holes but saw nothing. Could this be electrical probem: ie spark breaking down when put under a load? I did check the timing advance and it feels like it is free and works.

Strange thing happened last night. I took the carb off, AGAIN, but this time I had the carb on Choke and it ran great. I took the carb off choke and it ran crappy again. I checked the plug and it was black and sooty; of course from running it on choke. This is the first time that this engine has done that.

Question 4: IF it is running lean, Could I drill out the jet? To what size? Would the addition of the more free flowing exhaust have anything to do with it?

-dazed and confused!!!!

Thanks for all the input,

Reptile