Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

helmet types....OT

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the off topic...but I trust you guys. Here's the quandry..what type of helmet should I look at? MX, Half, Shorty, Full? I plan to ride logging trails and some minor jumps..so I am not sure what to look at, the shorty's and half look like they'd fit the bill...but a full would keep the dirt and hornets out of the mouth, andy suggestions? THanks in advance for any help.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

If you value your teeth, DryFly, get a full face helmet. Otherwise, your teeth may wind up in the gravel after you kiss the steering head, landing from one of those jumps you mention.

Open face helmets can prevent life-threatening head injuries. While nose/mouth/eye/jaw/dental injuries are not likely as serious as head injuries, they're certainly no fun.

All pro MX bike riders I've seen recently wear full face helmets; they must know something.

My recommendation for ATVing: full face helmet. But any style certified helmet is better than none.

Diogenes

Old 02-02-2001, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Definitly get a full-face helmet and some good googles. I've seen some knarly crashes and without the full-face helmets, lots of plastic surgery would have been needed.
And, they help keep you from getting slapped in the face by bugs, branches, etc., dirt from people in front of you.

Old 02-03-2001, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

what about street helmets? Are those OK, or too hot? Just curious about options. I have been looking at the HJC AC-X1 for full face MX helmets, but have also seen the Bieffe 3Sport. I think wherever I go, it will be with a SNELL approved bucket, nothing short of that. Thanks for the advice...

Old 02-03-2001, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Get the full face either fiberglass or composite. Don't scrimp here--You've only got one head! Good buckets available from Bell, Answer, Thor, MJC--spend some time finding one that fits--You'll look cool and be safe!

Old 02-03-2001, 12:36 AM
Trailblazer

I promise I'll get a good one...I was hit from behind a few years back, neither of us wearing helmets because we were out on a cruise ride...just so happened we found an old airstrip where we opened them up..he hit me, I was stopped, he was going 50...he almost died right there.

His face broke on the back of my head, collarbone broke on my back, and his leg was pinned between my Recon and his Banshee..double compound, and only regained the ability to speak after we applied the tourniquet (sp) Learned my lesson, as I now have to live with little headaches now and then, in the spot right where he hit me.

Called the folks and thanked them for building me thick...otherwise, I would have been on the life-flight with him getting out of there.

Gotta wear a bucket, this time I am fielding opinions on which one to get.

Old 02-03-2001, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

From your experience, DryFly, I think YOU are in a position to advise US on helmet types!

Thanks for sharing your story, pointing out the flawed reasoning of, "Don't need a helmet, just going for a cruise . . ."

Diogenes