Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda recon plethora of questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda recon plethora of questions....

Just signed up for the site today. I like it so far.

I've got a 2006 Honda Rancher 350 for myself, and just picked up a 2002 Honda Recon 250 ES for my wife today for the grand total of a whopping $225. It of course has some issues, but nothing that I think I can't fix. It needs quite a few things, so please forgive my first post as being a novel.

I have been researching this quad for some time and am already aware that I will have to install a new angle sensor in it next week. I've got the famous 3 flashes of the 1 gear light right now.

The previous owner welded a pry bar onto the side of the trans where it could be manually shifted when the ES went out. He said it shifted fine like that. It feels as if it is in a high gear. It rolls, but has some resistance. What can I check since I can't make it shift manually? I need to get it back to neutral so I can try to start it with the electric start.

It won't start either. It was supposedly running fine when jumped with a jump box. Previous owner installed a new battery and spark plug and it has not started since. It has a full 12 volts. The spark is barely there. What do I need to check? I've already cleaned all connectors and all fuses are new. I have no other flash codes. (Recoil start is not an option, as the pull rope is broken.)

I would also like to find an online manual for it if possible. I will purchase one if anyone can point me in the right direction. No one in my area has one.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

wow thats a real project you got! It might not be starting because it is not in neutral, Recons must be in neutral to start. or it could be another reason (a lot of times, I try to start my recon for twenty minutes untill I realize that the kill switch is off)

Old 11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I'm pretty sure it won't start because it's in gear. It doesn't do anything when pushing the start button. I can't manually get it to shift either.

If I can get it into neutral I have a feeling the starting problem might work itself out.

Yes it's a bit of a project, but nothing really major. It's missing all the front plastics and racks too. lol. After pricing everything I need I should be able to put it back on the trail for less that $700 total invested in it.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

with my recon, if you have it in gear THEN turn the key on , none of the lights go on and nothing happens when you push the starter button

Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

the nuetral problem sounds like the shifter fork, just a guess tho.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do you know what I can do to fix this? It's almost like the lever is stuck.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

the magic book of awnsers.....<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.rockymountainatv.com/vehicleFilter.do
">http://www.rockymountainatv.com/vehicleFilter.do
</a>
.link to a 2002 trx 250 es honda servive manual for 44.00 bucks
it will contain everything about your quad...electric trouble shooting and part numbers......problay save you alot of time and frustration....
.somtimes you can trick the quad into thinking its in netural i've had to do this on a bombarider rally cuz its stuck in foward .....and we now can ride it ....juist no reverse...to do this youll need to trace the wires coming from the crankcase ussally the right side on honda's then the wires will run over to the left side into a large rubber boot...you can pull back the boot and find that you can dissconect the wires here then youll need to ground one or two of them to get the nutral light to come on ( key has to be on) if the light comes on the start button should work

Old 11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

you could trick the mechine, but it wont magically stop your gears from meshing. you really should FIX the tranny problem, otherwise whats the longgevity of the mechine gona be, a dozen rides?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

well when trying to downshift rock the recon side to side it might not be down shifting becasue gears arnt moving.. dang if we welded a bar then he must of new/planned on it breaking. i went hunting this weekend and the guys had recon es and it broke also

Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dunno yet. I haven't been able to order the manual just yet. He was a young kid and he welded the prybar on thinking he would "fix" a small problem by creating a much bigger one. I would love to solve the problem without tearing the engine/transmission down, but it looks like that where I'm headed right now.

Quick Reply: Honda recon plethora of questions....