Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Atv Honda Rancher 04' 4x4 350 Newby questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv Honda Rancher 04' 4x4 350 Newby questions

Hello,

I just bought an used ATV Honda Rancher 04' 4x4 and i'm wondering which maintanance do i need to do in order to maintain the atv with proper conditions.

As far i know it need oil change [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] but the person who has sell it to me, he didn't provide the manual so i'm a little lost of what should i do...

Some issues that i found is that sometimes it doesn't get the changes propertly and i need to force up and down the pull in order to get the change D or R correctly. Last time used it didn't make that.

Also i found that while turning to left it hears like a bump or a metal noise where are the front wheels.

Nevertheless i have used sometimes and i'm very happy with it.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

oil change, around, or a little less than 2qts of oil. do not use car oil, u can use anything made for atv's or motorcycles, it will have a JAS MO rateing on the bottle. also replace the filter. please get a service manual, best invetsment oyu can make.

if your describeing a shifting problem, you probly need a clutch adjustment. agean, please buy a service manual, clutch adjustment will be in there.

your turning problem sounds like a front ball-joint or tie rod end. jack the mechine up and try pullin the tie rod ends and turn the handlebars to see if you can locate the POP. dont just replace one tie rod end, replace the set. even though only one is giveong you a problem the other is probly warn out as well.

for other service things, clean and reoil your air filter, and get a new sperk plug. these are good things to do.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, very good ideas. I will try to found a service manual from the honda retailer tomorrow and some oil and filters too. I feel like lost just seeing the atv and don't know what to do.

Also i saw like an platic tray beneath of the seat, it has some indicator marks like a clock, seems to be a water plastic container with an upper hole open... this is a water deposit or something else?

It doesn't have water mmmm .... the atv need to have some refrigerant cooler water?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

By all means get a service manual.

In addition to changing the oil and cleaning and oiling the air filter, it would be a good idea to check the valve gap. Changing axle fluid wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Also, be careful with the oil filter. On some Hondas the filter can be inserted the wrong way, but if you do that it blocks all oil flow to the engine. Honda filters are stamped on the ends which side goes towards the engine and which side goes toward the cover.

Anyhow, have fun (safely) with the quad, and welcome to the forum.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Service:

Keep the air filter clean and properly oiled.

Engine oil and filter changes. On this machine, I do it every 20 or so hours. Pick an oil that is API SG/JASO MA, that has a great additive package. I highly recommend Maxima.

Change out the spark plug at least once a year.

Change the gear oil in the front differential and rear final drive at least once a year.

Adjust the valves just after break-in (20 hours) and every ~200 hours after that. A note here: Most folks neglect valve adjustment all together! It is highly likely that the first adjustment was never done, so do one ASAP!