Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

honda atv

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda atv

Iam new to the atv world, i need opinion on 2 models 09 420 rancher with auto tran. and 08 trx500fa with auto trans. both 4x4

thanks j mac

Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default honda atv

If it is a Rancher and is auto, it is called the 420AT and has IRS (independent rear suspension...which is all the rage these days). If the other one has an auto and is a 500, it is called the Rubicon and has an SRA (solid rear axle).

The Rancher engine is slick! It is fuel injected and water cooled, and rips right off the bottom. It has a totally unique gear-on-gear "dual clutch" (like the Volkswagen) transmission that can be left on auto, or shifted by pushbutton. I like the Rancher because it is not to big, yet not to small. My only complaint, is that they are heavier than I would like (but then, all utes are heavier than I like!).

The Rubicon is a larger machine, and has a unique hydrodynamic transmission, which also can be left on auto or shifted by push button. It has a good reputation for reliability.

I think the Rancher makes the better trail machine!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default honda atv

I'd pretty much ditto that.

The Rancher 420 is a snappy and fun quad, a bit physically smaller than the big bores. It can be had in auto-clutch foot shift, and electric push button shifting in a solid rear axle, or the new independent rear suspension auto- which uses a double clutch 5 speed auto.

The 500 Rubicon is not quite as agile. It is a hydrostatic transmission with low range, and solid rear axle. It excels in situations that require low speed and high torque, like pulling trailers, pushing a plow and stuff like that. I actually prefer to ride the 500 Foreman, which comes in auto clutch foot shift, or push button shift.

A solid rear axle quad won't squat under the hitch weight of a trailer, corners and side hills flatter, and power slides more easily and has a bit more feel for what the tires are doing. Independent rear suspension, on the other hand, usually has higher ground clearance, and a much better ride over rough stuff at high speed.

Anyway, if you are looking to plow deep snow or pull/tow/drag stuff, I'd consider the Foreman or Rubicon, depending on if you prefer an auto or not.

If your purpose for buying a quad is more for fun trail riding, then I'd think you would want that 420 auto Rancher.

That is not to say that the Foreman and Rubicon can't be a blast to trail ride, or that the 420 Rancher can't be used for work...

Anyway, opinions on the internet only go so far. Try to get a good ride on each to make sure you get the machine that best matches your purpose, and personal preference.

And, welcome to the forum.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default honda atv

id have to say for the money the suzuki kingquad 400 automatic and the the 420 rancher cluth, which are both sra, no diff lock, are the best trail utiities for the money, i own both and happy as could be. not to much power not too little power, these quads will keep up with any big bore where i ride, in fact where i ride , i think the big bores are out classed, because of there weight, there alot more tippy, there wide bodies get hung up and there way overpowered for the steep inclines up the trail on side canyons, way more prone to flip over due to the tremendous power thats unleashed when you hit the throttle. now if i lived in desert country like arizona utah or down south where they like to mud bogg and drive around in the swamps, i could buy into a big bore, so alot of it does depend on what part of the country your in, and your needs.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default honda atv

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: outbackmac

Iam new to the atv world, i need opinion on 2 models 09 420 rancher with auto tran. and 08 trx500fa with auto trans. both 4x4

thanks j mac</end quote></div>

Give us some particulars about your intended use. If you don't need auto or IRS, the Rancher 420 (SRA model) is $1,000 cheaper than the AT.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Range Rover
Default honda atv

I wouldn't get a honda. They don't have the features that the suzuki and yamaha have. If your thinking of a honda 420 or 500, then you would be even better off if you bought a suzuki kingquad 400 or 450. Both much better buy for the buck. Also the yamaha kodiak 400 and the kodiak 450 are also better for the buck. Hope this helps and make sure you do your research and get peoples opinions before you jump right in and get a honda

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default honda atv

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kingquad400

I wouldn't get a honda. They don't have the features that the suzuki and yamaha have. If your thinking of a honda 420 or 500, then you would be even better off if you bought a suzuki kingquad 400 or 450. Both much better buy for the buck. Also the yamaha kodiak 400 and the kodiak 450 are also better for the buck. Hope this helps and make sure you do your research and get peoples opinions before you jump right in and get a honda</end quote></div>

I'm a polaris guy and have got into many arguments with the honda utility guys.I would recomend a polaris to anyone.But I have a new found respect for these machines,out on the trail I ran into a 98 foreman 400,it had nearly 10,000 miles!With simple maintanece these will run forever!I was impressed!These machines may not have the bells and whistles that the other brands have,but they are dang bulletproof!I have heard of many issues with king quads.As a trail machine rancher,more work horse rubicon.
happy trails, Mark

Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default honda atv

A buddy had a Suzuki 400. Its physically bigger than the Rancher, and has a bit softer suspension. His was quite reliable, but no powerhouse.

The Griz 450 is also a nice machine.

The Rancher 420 is also a very nice machine, though.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>it had nearly 10,000 miles</end quote></div> Somewhere on one of the other forums there was a photo of a Rincon dash that had over 30,000 miles of hard use in Alaska.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default honda atv

Btw what is warn424?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default honda atv

Some older Hondas were 4x4 full time. Installing the Warn 424 kit allows those machines to be shifted between 2wd and 4x4.

It is one of the best modifications a person can make to one of those, IMHO.

Quick Reply: honda atv